We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ships impact?

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
cruise ships impact?

Am just starting to research Barbados as our next vacation spot. I know lots of people love to cruise, but I don't want to be around when a bunch of ships come in. How often are cruise ships coming in and are they mostly in one area? Thanks for any info

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ships impact?

The bulk of our cruise visitors arrive between November and April. Some days we have as many as six mega ships totalling 13,000 pax arriving. I've always found Wednesday and Thursday to be busiest. It's in general challenging to avoid cruise visitors but you shouldn't be put off by them. They're only there for a day.

Hope this helps

Regards

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ships impact?

And we only have one Port where mega ships call which is on Harbour Road just outside Bridgetown.

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ships impact?

I might be wrong, but im guessing a lot of cruise ship passengers head to Carlisle Bay, Harbour lights, and up the west coast, my advice would be to head south if there are some in port, some great beaches/areas there and bound to be quieter!!!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ships impact?

I've never found any impact from the cuise ships in the South, what type of accomodation are you looking for?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ships impact?

What is it you're looking for specifically? A place to stay where "cruisers" don't while waiting for their ship or when leaving to go home? Places to avoid when cruise ships are in port?

New York
Level Contributor
591 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise ships impact?

I used to to print out and bring the schedule of cruise ships docking in Barbados each time we went, so as to avoid all the passengers Admittedly, we are at The Crane and away from the port, but the only places I have seen them is at tourist attractions, such as lunch at Sunbury Plantation where they are seated in a separate area anyway or in buses parked along the roadside in Bathsheba. It has never been a problem for us.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise ships impact?

I have actually seen a bus load of cruise ship passengers at both Coconut Court Hotel beach, and at Rockley Beach, close to the Kanai Bar (spelling?) end. This certainly put a lot of extra people on the beach, which is usually relatively quiet at that end. I have to admit that I didn't like it nearly as much, as I prefer it to be more quiet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise ships impact?

Bridgetown is also a place to avoid. It's next to impossible to get a taxi when the ships are in because all the drivers want to make money doing tours.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise ships impact?

Super good info. I just wanted to know if they were there everyday. I will just find out the days they are in town and choose a different spot to visit or head in the other direction. I like cruisers and I like quiet beaches. Sounds like I will be fine

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise ships impact?

www.barbadosport.com/index.php…

If you use the Barbados Port website linked above it lists cruise ships in and on which day, I usually keep a list of ships in whilst we travel so to avoid doing certain activities on the busier days.