We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Health and Safety Improvement

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Health and Safety Improvement

In light of several comments in recent posts about contracting cutaneous larva migrans, hook worm. This article has appeared in the Nation News. Hopefully the government efforts will help reduce the risk.

“Investigations are being conducted at some of the island’s popular beaches including Browne’s Beach at Bay Street, St Michael.”

nationnews.com/articles/…

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

It does seem to be a bit of a problem that I have been aware for a few years I had friends (2 families) who stayed on the west coast and all 5 children & 1 adult ended up with it. They spent most of their time on Sandy Lane beach but at the northern end they just had towels to sit on and the children played in the sand. They were told at the clinic to only play in the sand washed by the sea and to use sunbeds as the larva can bury though a towel.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 12:04
Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

Whilst the article mentions people who walk their dogs on the beach I don't think they are the main problem as most good dog owners will have been worming their dogs regularly etc. and on the whole the vast majority of Barbadians don't walk their dogs - a lot are either kept tied or in gardens. The problem I believe is the large number of homeless dogs who roam wherever they want - there are 3 organizations who take them in however, most locals do not in general spey and neuter their dogs so it is a problem of too many unwanted puppies in most cases.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

I agree that the problem is more likely to be from stray dogs than from dogs being walked by owners. Catching worms from "dead" sand has always been possible here, this isn't a new problem. But still, given all the time my kids and I spend on beaches, we have rarely dealt with this issue - I think I have had one child out of three get it once, and I had it once as a child and once as an adult. So it's not as rampant as you might think.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

I think its cats too.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

Yes hadn't thought about the cats!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

I have never had the unfortunate experience of getting beach worm thankfully and I have been here 23 years and used to spend tons of time on the beach and I think generally that is the norm. I don't think the situation is any worse now than since I first came so it will be interesting to see how they are intending to deal with the situation.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

Something though must have happened for the government to look into this though. What would be interesting to find out.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

It has come up before a few years ago I recall something about it but thinking about it it probably was about 10 years ago now.

9. Re: Beach Health and Safety Improvement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 15:20