We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chef - Menus

Lubbock
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chef - Menus

We have rented a villa that comes with a private chef/cook. We have visited other places with similar services and really enjoyed them.

However, we are a little lost as to what to turn in for a menu and the owner has requested this information ASAP. Being from Texas we eat a lot of beef which we hear is very expensive on the island and also eat a lot of Mexican food which we doubt the chef/cook would know how to make.

Does anyone have any menus they have used in the past or that have been provided by villa owners? We are not looking for anything fancy just normal meals.

Thanks in advance.

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
918 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chef - Menus

Lots of wonderful seafood available if that appeals. Flying fish is a specialty and is wonderful!

We also love the spicy creole influence in some of the local dishes...roti is a favorite of ours.

That being said, there are wonderful Italian, Indian, Mexican, Spanish, Gourmet etc. restaurants in Barbados.....pretty much any kind of food you could ask for, so I wouldn't be shy about turning in any menu. The owner can always reply if there's a problem.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,853 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chef - Menus

redraidermba

One of my best friends is a chef who works at a number of private residences from time to time. The menu's I've seen him with were quite simple and very local for the most part.

Starters included flying fish fingers, fish cakes, lobster salad, grilled king prawns (imported), seared Prince Edward Island scallops (imported) and even caviar.

Mains included pan fried mahi mahi, poached salmon (imported), grilled beef tenderloin (imported), ahi tuna two ways (two fillets grilled, two fillets seared), chicken curry.

Desserts included ice cream, sorbet, cheesecake, coconut cream pie.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chef - Menus

Sounds wonderful geneticsniper, the menu's are making my mouth water!!

Wish we could afford a private chef.

Enjoy redraidermba!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,853 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chef - Menus

You can have you're own for about $150 to 200 USD a day to prepare 3 meals.

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chef - Menus

I guess the logical question is "what do you like?"

Also are you venturesome? If so then contact the owner and ask what the chef recommends and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Quite honestly I've always been able to find the food I like or whatever was new to me was fantastic. So trip the light gastronomic and enjoy the excellent local cuisine.

As one of my friends always says "If you like everything to be the same as back home, don't travel anywhere".

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chef - Menus

This would be the perfect opportunity to experience some local food prepard by a local chef. For an appetizer there is the favorite Fish cakes, small deep fried made with fish and spices. They make excellent chicken, any way you like. If you like, Piri Piri Chicken is excellent, and can be as spicy as you want. Pumpkin or squash soup is also very good, hot or cold. Usually with main entrees peas & rice is served, roasted squash or boiled. Some chefs make an excellent fish pie. There is also Pepperpot. Originally it was a dish that was kept on a wood burning stove, and all leftover meat was added with some vegetables. Now they just make it from scratch and it is served either with rice or mashed yams. There is macroni pie, that you can eat with a side salad, or quite often it is served as a starch dish replacing potatoes.

They make excellent Coconut bread, not really bread but along the lines of a zuccini bread or banana bread.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chef - Menus

I work in the tourism industry in Barbados, and when we arrange chefs for our guests, the chef will suggest menu ideas, which the guests can the tweek if needed.

8. Re: Chef - Menus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 12:15