We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Hi all. First of all a big thankyou to all you guys who answered my last question about popular A.I. in Barbados. It was much appreciated.

After some research we've decided on South Coast. Our main concerns are that we must be in either an A.I. or full board hotel located on an incredible beach near the heart of the action. So from searches for southern beaches near the Gap I've come up with Rockley, Dover or Carlisle.

Which of these match our criteria:

-> a breathtaking ('just wow’) beach

-> close proximity (no more than a 10 min walk to the gap) – like to be near heart of action

-> Amenities on the beach or close by: bar, food stall/cafe, vendors

-> Has an AI or full board hotel located right on the beach

Thanks again very much to anyone who takes the time to help me out. :-)

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

We have stayed in St. Lawrence on the Gap Rd at Divi Southwinds but not on the all-inclusive. There are so many restaurants in this area that can be reached on foot This resort is on both sides of the Gap Rd. Dover beach is just steps away.

http://barbados.org/orestloc.htm

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

For me the only one that fits is Turtle Beach on a great beach see my little picture.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Just to clarify, When are you going and for how long are you staying? As you originally mentioned 2 nights in a previous post and some places require more than that..

Edited: 05 September 2011, 12:57
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Yes many places do require a 3 night stay especially if it's high season.

I'd agree that Turtle Beach would be a good choice and I'd say that Almond Casuarina would be worth a look too. Both AI and both within 10 mins or so walking distance to The Gap. The latter is strictly on Maxwell Beach but Dover is a couple of minutes walk away.

There is Escape at the Gap which is AI on Dover Beach - but depends when you are travelling as it is, I believe, closing later this year (end Dec?) Southern Palms is right on Dover Beach but is not AI - you could arrange to have dinner, bed and breakfast though so you might want to consider it as it is 5 mins walk to The Gap from there and there are lots of bars and cafes etc

Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

I am staying just two nights before a cruise in July 2012. I think I've narrowed it down to either Turtle Beach, Accra Beach Hotel or the Sea Breeze.

I would prefer A.I. but would also opt for either half or full board if the resort itself was within 15 min walk of the gap and was really really good.

How long is the walk from Accra Beach Hotel into the Gap?

ETA: virgin have told me they can unlock most hotels for a two night stay.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 13:20
Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

also.... is it common knowledge what is replacing Escape At the Gap or if any hotel chain has bought it. That is a nice location. :-)

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Of the three you mention (TB, ABH, SB) the one which is within 10-15 mins walking distance of The Gap is TB. That involves walking along a road which is paved and has only light traffic. The other two are too far away to walk in my opinion - and there is much busier traffic to contend with and narrow/non existent pavements in some places too. That said, you could easily hop on the cheap and frequent buses which run until around midnight.

I don't know what plans there are for the site at EATG - I believe though that Virgin Holidays will offer the Savannah instead but it is further from the Gap and doesn't fit the bill for the rest of what you want. Southern Palms is next door to the EATG so the location is great but it is not an AI resort.

Ireland
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Almatt thanks for the information. If the other two are not within walking distance really of the Gap, then I suppose that makes it easier. So that leaves me with Turtle Beach which seems to have consistent good TA reviews.

Thanks for everything.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

If Virgin can get any of these hotels for 2 nights I would say Turtle Beach but my preference would be Southern Palms room only and use all the bars and restaurants close by and it is on Dover Beach, its only 2 days and easy to budget for.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accra, Dover or Carlisle: trying to narrow it down help pls

Library_Girl

I agree 100% with footychick. It maybe unlikely to get Turtle Beach for two nights so you should really consider Southern Palms. Although Accra is a fantastic resort, Southern Palms has a better location in relation to the highlights of St. Lawrence Gap.

Regards