We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crime ! is there an issue ?

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
crime ! is there an issue ?

Now i know that there is crime where ever you go in the world and it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings . But is there any reason to be er! aware of any situations one might come across on the island regarding either people ,area's/places.

I am relatively sure that there's not any major problems otherwise they would have been mentioned on here before . I wanted to pose the question mainly to put my wife's mind at rest after some of her work colleagues said that Barbados was i quote " a bit dodgy in areas " unquote ......

Cheers : )

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crime ! is there an issue ?

I think you have nailed it in the first sentence or two really. Yes there is crime in Barbados just as there is anywhere. You need to exercise the same level of caution as you would at home. Don't walk on deserted beaches at night, no flashy jewellery, use hotel safe if available.... Etc. All the usual common sense stuff.

I have always travelled to Barbados with my husband in the past but am happy to do so on my own in November. Hope that helps.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crime ! is there an issue ?

Crime does happen here unfortunately but it is not rampant - I have lived here for almost 24 years and feel safer here than I did in the UK and I think every where in the world has the odd dodgy area but it's highly unlikely you would come across one here in Barbados. As I always say to anyone - take the same precautions you would at home and you should not have any problem. On the whole Barbados is if not the safest island in the Caribbean it is well up there.

The people are a little shy generally but on the whole a nice bunch so come on and visit!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,675 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crime ! is there an issue ?

jeff340

I echo the comments of the two previous posters. Barbados is indeed one of the safest islands in the Caribbean and our current crime rate is below where it was at this time in 2010, so there should be no need for worry. Take all sensible precautions but don't become preoccupied.

Regards

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crime ! is there an issue ?

I thank you all again ,as you say it's a case of common sense where ever you are xx

5. Re: crime ! is there an issue ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 22:18