We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking out the big guns

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Checking out the big guns

When I were a lad......my father took photographs of us sitting astride big guns on the island. That was some 33 years ago.

On subsequent visits, for one reason or another (usually simply running out of time!) I have failed in seeking out these big guns again. Not having even seen photos of them on-line I was starting to wonder if they were still there. And after 33 years, exactly where they were.

Then last week as I was exploring the south coast on Google Earth, I stumbled across them again.

They may not be high on the must see sites for everybody but I will definately visit them again on our next visit.

Located just south of the eastern end of the main runway at Grantley Adams airport - and to think I thought they were at Gun Hill! Duh!

Are these guns still readily accessible? Potentially valuable as scrap metal, are they preserved under a flag of historical interest? Info on them would be interesting. Thanks.

1. Re: Checking out the big guns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2011, 15:06
England
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking out the big guns

That sounds interesting, especially the ones in the sea. In the surf, or completely submerged?

The guns I refer to are long range cannon at what I now believe to be the Barbados artillery range, probably from the second world war. I wouldn't like to guess how big they are, but they are big. They don't seem to be "mobile", so being long range I wonder what they were aimed at.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking out the big guns

Moley....Is this what you are talking about?

www.astronautix.com/articles/abroject.htm

nationnews.com/news/local/cave-HARPing-on-th…

Edited: 25 October 2011, 21:56
Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking out the big guns

oops...sorry the second link is no longer valid

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking out the big guns

That's exactly what I was after. Lots of info there I can read through, but a quick pick over it and some great facts pop up, like the then new world's gun-launched altitude record of 92 km from the big 16-inch Barbados gun - 92 km straight up!

Great stuff. Thanks MrsBB.

6. Re: Checking out the big guns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2011, 15:06
England
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking out the big guns

For those not interested in reading the whole account - these 40 ton guns were apparently used to fire gun propelled shells vertically with interests in making upper atmospheric readings and possibilities of gun launched satellites in space. In the 1960's the Barbados launch site took the form of a modern space launch complex, and with the Cuban missile crisis Barbados could have been seen as a potential threat - and a target. Fortunately the crisis ended peacefully..

These big guns are definately on my must see for next time.

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking out the big guns

Moley64 The project you refer to was known as HARP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HARP

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews