We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can you bring flying fish to the United states

My husband and I, will be traveling to Barbados in Dec 2011.

Has anyone brought flying fish back with them to the United States?Thanks for any ihfo.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Shafiqah

Yes you can. This I've been doing since 1995 and did it as recently as October 2nd. I never declare what I have to US Customs though... I'm not one to bring suspicion onto myself. Make sure they are frozen and you can wrap them in foil and place them in either your checked or hand luggage. If you place them in your hand luggage, please ensure they remain frozen with zero liquids present until after the security checkpoint at BGI.

Regards

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Just so you know --

"Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties."

http://tinyurl.com/6hvlb5b

Edited: 27 October 2011, 19:00
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Interesting... a US Customs Officer at MIA told me the fine is normally around $300 USD...depending on quantity... I just somehow always seem to get away scot free!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Lol@ Genet,I think it's safe to say that most of us are guilty (I plead the 5th) of taking some BGI treats home. Once you are at Customs,you just pray that the dogs are trained to sniff out illegal drugs not a couple packs of frozen flying fish.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Exactly!

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Yikes! I don't know if I would suggest to anyone to just ignore the fine! The US government is looking for anyway to make money and are imposing fines for almost anything they can. We have always brought back flying fish but through Toronto not the US. This year we are coming back through the US so I woul be curious to hear more.

PS: We always freeze ous in a soft walled cooler and place it in our refrigerator a couple of days before we leave. Even with delays and being over 24 hours we have never had a problem.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

lol@ Jetgal, love the vision of the sniffer dogs ;o) This question always makes me smile, I know it has been asked before and that people do it, I just have this vision of a really fishy smelling suitcase on arrival at your destination ;o)

They certainly wouldn't be travelling with my clothes and shoes lol!

8. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2011, 15:06
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Just curious -- why would you not declare something which is legal to bring in (but which must be declared) and risk a fine, no matter the amount?

Granted, it's not likely you'll be stopped. But if you are and haven't declared it you can be fined. I can understand if it were something prohibited and you were trying to sneak it in. But it's legal. What's the downside of writing it down on the customs form? There's just no logic there.

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you bring flying fish to the United states

Thanks bpfife, that link is pretty clear. Have you actually done it and if so how did it go. I did not find anything clear on Canada's site. Anyone know where you can find where it says bring in fish to Canada for personal use is ok? We have to travel through both US and Canadian customs.