We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Channel 4 at 9pm not sure if it's a repeat I think it's new.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

A new one I think, footychick

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube as you can't view Channel 4 outside the UK...I'd love to see it.

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

I think it's sad that people who go on holiday look at the smallest things people who haven't quite made it want to ruin other things that other people have worked soo hard for shame on you.

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Interesting but some of the reviewers are idiots! :)

CARLISLE UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Some of the service providers do not want to learn off their mistakes

Worcester
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

The program was interesting but showed the extremes - extremely picky reviewers representing your normal trip advisor reviewers (eg who comment on bar staff getting a drink order wrong and prompty correcting the mistake); then extremely bolshy substandard B&B proprietors who serve up reheated breakfasts and rant on about reviewers ruining their lives and their businesses and yet refuse to use the reviews as an opportunity to improve and instead berate the reviewers as all being idiots.

From viewing the program you would expect that trip advisor only contained bad reviews of all establishments and that reviewers are just vindictive. No mention I recall was given to the tons of places able to achieve 5 star reviews.and those who regularly get 4 star reviews. So it wasnt really totally balanced.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

Myself and the OH sat down to watch this tonight and I thought that the programme was very well executed.

It did show some of the proprieters in a shameful light but by their own misguided failings. They showed a complete apathy towards the concept of "Candid Reviews" and took everything personally(relatively understandable). However, should they consider the use of Tripadvisor as a medium by the General public to voice their opinions then they would be better served.

Frankly most of the UK/Irish population(being similar) have a reluctance to voice their disatisfaction to people to their face. I personally learned this from a distasteful and overly defensive attitude received from a 4* Guesthouse owner whom I challenged on providing us with the incorrect room(booked a specific 4 poster Suite). Short of dragging me to the room by my collar to show me the difference I felt attacked. I therefore use the medium of Tripadvisor to provide them frank and honest feedback for future purposes.

Looking at the management responses from the properties listed on the 31.10.11 I was shocked by their own aggressive responses. One more or less read "Jumped up little 16 year old giving out about a room her mother booked for her".....................that's what I got from the management response.

Tripadvisor is an invaluable resource but you must use it wisely both as a business professional providing the service and the end user. Many reviews are frank and positive, many reviews provide some failings in service or expectations, some provide negative comments because it did not fulfill their own desires and expectations(not necessarily the owners fault) and some are just not very helpful or vindictive. Not helpful being "stayed 1 night, thought it was ok, might stay again" and vindictive being "owner didn't cover his mouth when coughing and my children might get sick so I told all my family, friends and co workers never to visit the plague infested ghetto ever".

If I see a review and the only negative reviews are "owner was rude", "sheets were not dressed correctly", "tea not replaced on a daily basis", "receptionist looked surly" or "one bulb in room out of 7 bulbs was blown" then I ignore and book and those are remedial or personal responses to small tiny issues.

I like pictures of properties so I can see a candid opinion of the room. We have all read the "Worst B&B/Hotel in Britain/Ireland/USA" etc. Having pictures of a local pier, seal in the water, or promenade is not good enough. There was not representative and TA should remove them each time they are reported.

Tripadvisor is social inclusion media working at its best. People need to embrace it rather than resent it. Intelligent free thinking people pick out good and bads reviews, draw their own conclusions, consider visiting and make up their own mind and sometimes come back here and review it.

BTW Geneticsniper, people outside UK can view it. I just did in Ireland.

50 Million people use TA. Surely there are some rotten apples. Some people have the feeling of power and some people like to review. I like to review but have been lacking reviews lately. The last property I stayed in was a 5* and I must admit I had a certain expectation of it being 5* and yes there was a few shortcomings but simply things like not enough toilet paper being replaced(omitted from the review for that small reason as we just asked for more).

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

It is also available on the www - via Four On Demand

See here

channel4.com/programmes/…4od

Have not seen all of it yet ...I have it recorded to watch without the adverts ...it is as far as I know only about the UK

The first part of the programme does show one of the biggest failings in many establishments ..... the belief that they are always right and not being prepared to accept any criticism

As with any review of any product or service it is important to review them in context and not allow one or two reviews ( be they good or bad) influence you too much

I don't know what has happened to the bad reviews of the Old Forge or why they have been removed ...there is only one critical review left on TA and the overall rating is very high

It would be interesting to find out what has happened here

bhp
UK
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

The program was rather predictable and didn't even acknowledge that there is another side to the coin - those owners and developers who blatantly post glowing reviews to boost their own properties. TA has removed over 130 reviews of Buccament Bay in St Vincent for precisely that reason.

Mentioned in this post
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attack of the Trip Advisor - tv tonight

I think that you must remember it's good telly when you have such opposite people.

The reviewers all came over as they should "get a life" but the hotelliers should ignore the reviews and remember there are those of us who like non-corporate and quirky.

D.T.