We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Level Contributor
159 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Will be coming to Barbados in early February. Are there any nice but affordable places/resorts to stay on the West Coast?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

bogardner

I'm not sure your budget, but have a look at the following:

The Tamarind

Colony Club

Sunswept

Divi Heritage

Hope this helps

Regards

Level Contributor
159 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Thank you. I checked out all four. Tamarind is $669/night; Colony Club is $755/night; Sunswept is $185/night; and Divi is $155/night; The reviews on Divi and Sunswept are just ok. Do you know of anything say between $300-$500 per night? Thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

bogardner

Not resorts unfortunately. The West Coast is our platinum coast and will be quite pricy. Almost all our 5* properties are on that coast.

Have a look at Coral Lane Beach Apartments in Paynes Bay. It's a nice clean place to stay.

Do look out for recommendations by other members as well.

Regards

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Look at this one:

http://www.beachviewbarbados.com/

Here are the reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g147265-d1234…

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Hi, if you look at an apartment you should be able to rent a really nice place. Take a look at Holiday rentals

Glitter Bay - on the beach just north of Holetown

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p824869

An example of types of place available

Sugar Hill - slightly inland, 5 minutes from Holetown with free use of Mullins beach facility

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/keywords:Sugar+Hill%2C+Barbados

There is also Beach View - Paynes Bay

Level Contributor
159 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

I may have to pass on the West Coast. I did find the following, what do you think of these? Hilton Barbados @ $398/night; Mango Bay @ $535/night with all meals included; Bougainvillea Beach Resort @ $267/night; and Beach View @ $305/night. I should have mentioned that this is my first visit to Barbados so I know nothing about the Island. Thank you all for your help.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

bogardner

Hilton Barbados is a fantastic resort and one of my favourite properties. Just read the 600+ reviews on TA. Their almost all 4 or 5 star. It has two massive beaches, lots of activities, near many restaurants and the popular south coast. I would highly recommend this.

I personally wouldn't do Mango Bay as it's all inclusive and we have over 140 superb restaurants on the island. Bougainvillea is very good as well.

Do take a look at www.totallybarbados.com where you will find a wealth of quality and up-to-date information on the island.

Regards

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

Sorry, but i have to totally disagree !

For me the Hilton lacks character, certainly lacks any Caribbean charm. To me it's a concrete jungle, like any other Hilton. Others may disagree, that is hust my personal opinion.

Again others may disagree ..... I think Mango Bay is a great little Hotel, is there a better location on the West Coast ( unless of course your looking for seclusion) ?

The food at Mango bay is excellent in my opinion and beats many, if not all of the mid-range Restaurants.

Ok it's not up to the standard of the Cliff or the Tides for example, if you can afford to eat at those sort of Restaurants every night you can afford to stay at Sandy lane or the very best that the Island has to offer in terms of star rating.

There is the old age arguement that if you stay at an All inclusive that you're almost a Prisoner, that you have to eat there for every meal otherwise your paying twice. This doesn't bother me, i'd rather not have to go looking for cheap eats for breakfast, or dragging myself around the supermarkets looking at the prices and worrying about money ( and believe me they are not cheap).

I like to get up in the morning and have it there waiting for me and it gives me more hours in the day to do what i want to do ( which doesn't include supermarkets or an overpriced Breakfast at Surfside). However i do eat out away from the Hotel a few times a week, perhaps go to the Tides or the Fishpot for example.

What really matters to me, is not whether i'm paying twice. But how much i spend in total ( Flight+Hotel+ spending money) for my Holiday and from my experience I spent a fortune when i last went S/C even tho i had boiled eggs and toast most mornings, Venders or cheap beach bars for Lunch and had to avoid the nicer Restaurants in the evening and go to Restaurants that i can honestly say don't live up to the Food of Mango bay or the Waves. Certainly not Zachios !

But agian this is just my opinion. And some Facts thrown in !

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

ClarkySwindon

Have you stayed at Hilton Barbados before?

I'm curious as your comments are quite intriguing and I'm not one to judge a book by its cover. Where in the UK is there a Hilton hotel with a completely open lobby area, friendly Bajan decor, all 350 rooms with balconies either overlooking Carlisle Bay or the Caribbean Sea, local Bajan food in restaurants, pools, tennis courts, two pristine beaches and hard to match Bajan hospitality? Certainly there is Caribbean charm throughout all facets of the property.

Remind us again how its a typical Hilton hotel simply because its made of concrete.

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable but nice places to stay on West Coast

" I should have mentioned that this is my first visit to Barbados so I know nothing about the Island"

Okay try this it should give you a bit of an idea about Barbados. Go to the following links;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k24501…

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147262-s1/…Inside.html

Since you're going at a peak time trying to find a hotel deal directly with a hotel will be difficult, you would probably have more success with a package which includes flight and hotel. Unless there's a particular reason you want to stay on the West Coast you might find the South Coast equally enjoyable and less expensive.

The other option as mentioned was to do self-catering where you can usually find reasonable prices if you're just a a block or two up from a beach. Beach front properties are naturally more expensive. Self catering isn't for everyone as some just want to be pampered. If self catering is something you're interested in just say so and you'll get many suggestions.