We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Barbados satellite map

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Topic
New Barbados satellite map

This is pretty cool. The folks who produce the BajanNav GPS map have taken their data and integrated it with the Google map API to produce a web-based road map of Barbados. From their press release:

"A few days ago, we launched a new website, Bariffle.com, using the same data as BajanNav to produce an on-line road map of Barbados. We believe this is the first time an accurate map of Barbados has been made available online.

Also shown on Bariffle.com are BajanNav's Points of Interest, including the Beaches and Cricket grounds. Some of the POIs "bounce" - a Bouncer indicates a special offer, event or announcement!"

It's nicely done, with selectable buttons on the right to display different categories. Like all Google maps, you can zoom in and click-drag to navigate around. A nice way for folks to get their bearings or see, for example, how far their hotel is from food/entertainment, etc.

Here's the link:

http://www.bariffle.com/

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Thanks for that bp, great info from you as usual !

Edited: 29 December 2011, 21:25
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Tks for the link, but I don't like it. When I click on a bouncing ad, I can't get rid of it. Plus it's not accurate.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Chrisky,

There should be an 'X' in the upper right corner of the pop-up window to close it. Seems to work okay for me in Chrome and Firefox.

I haven't paid much attention yet to the position of their POIs, so they may not be accurate. They may be arranged to fit better on the display (being ads) rather than for driving accuracy. But I've used their road data in the GPS several times and it's dead on. Or at least enough to keep me from driving off the road ;-)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Barbados satellite map

bpfife,

I also have the problem of not being able to shut the information box if I click on a site. There isn't an x anywhere that permits me to do that. I also use chrome. Rather odd compared to your experience.

I do like the set up and it will be an invaluable aid for many people but this little bug has to be worked out, for us at least.

Thanks for the link.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Weird. Here's what I get:

http://tinypic.com/r/bdqhpx/5

This is in Chrome on OS X but I get the same thing in FF or when using either browser on Win 7.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Weird really.

Went to your link. The x in the upper corner was there, clicked it and all it did was reduce the size of ad. Didn't shut it down at all. Oh well, maybe tomorrow the "gremlins" will be gone?

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Barbados satellite map

That link is just to a screenshot -- a static picture. It's just to show you what my screen looked like and won't take you to the actual site. Sorry for the confusion.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Not a problem, appreciate your assistance.

I'm sure it will all eventually be resolved.

Thanks again, great to have your knowledge on this forum.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Barbados satellite map

It works OK on our compluter. I've saved the page to look at it in more detail later. Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Barbados satellite map

Think I've solved the mystery at least partially. The problem occurs if I click on the "bouncers" but if I go to one of the blue tabs ex. car rentals then I get the screen with the x in the upper corner and I can then close it.