We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

Hi,

We are headed to Barbados in a week. Does anyone have advice on good snorkelling spots? We will be looking after ourselves, renting a place in Marley Value and will have a car so I don't have a problem getting around the island. We'll also be bringing fishing rods and hope to be able to shore fish, is that realistic?

Any advice is most appreciated,

john

Cliff Sharker
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Good Times Catamaran Cruises
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Barbados Blue
Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

John s

I would recommend you drive over to Carlisle Bay one of our leading snorkel sites. It's about 15-20 minutes drive from Marley Vale depending on traffic.

Yes you can shore fish for small fish like pilchards early mornings and late evenings. Many locals do this from time to time.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

Thank You Geneticsniper for your reply. We will be snorkelling and trying to fish, I'll bring my own rods and reels from home, and maybe some rigging. Also we will bring our snorkelling gear and just sort of drive about the coast and look for likely spots. It isn't like we are used to this so almost anything will look good to us :-) My wife and I were in Marsh Harbour Bahamas last year, first time in Caribean, and we loved it.

Also wanted to apolgize for the question, I did explore the forum more and found that both the snorkelling and fishing question had been asked and answered.

I do have questions about swimming on the east coast, and what, if any, staples we should bring from home, I thought peanut butter (Kelly loves it). I'll check th eforum and post thos as questions if I don't see answers.

Thanks again.

john

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

john S

You're welcome. I don't mind answering frequently asked questions... not a bother at all.

Swimming on the East Coast is easier said than done as it's quite a rough and rocky area for the most part. I habitually have fun swimming at Bathsheba and Crane Beach. I find the beach at Barclays Park, Bottom Bay and Foul Bay to be too choppy for me, and I find the beach at Bath, St. John to be too rocky.

PBJs are a good option for lunch, as are grapes, Pringles and a few apples.

Regards

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

Can I also ask a couple of beach questions...

Carlisle Bay. Where is the best place to park? Is this the beach virtually opposite the Garrison?We do not usually go near Bridgetown. (Except for the cricket) Only on our last day in 2011 visit we stopped off at the Garrison/Barbados Museum. Noticed a beautiful beach across the road. Is this Carlisle Bay.

Bath Bay. We were going to make a point of stopping off there this month. We like to swim/snorkle/sunbathe Is there any point from what I've just read about it being rocky? It's not exactly easy to get to...! Or shall we stick with Bathsheba rockpools?

Many thanks.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

I wouldn't call Bath Beach rocky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VhbByVYHw

6. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 January 2012, 15:27
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

Basil_Brush47

There are two parking lots along the area by Carlisle Bay, both are free to use. Nope, the beach isn't by the Garrison. It's opposite Government Headquarters further down Bay Street. You can't miss it.

The closest beach to the Garrison/Barbados Museum is Drill Hall Beach.... by the Barbados Defence Force.

Bath Beach isn't difficult to get to, but Bathsheba is the better beach IMHO.

Regards

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

bpfife

I was referring to inside the water itself not on the beach or around the picnic tabes. Last time I was there (September) I could hardly find anywhere proper to stand in the water... lots of mossy stones around. I prefer to be grounded on sand.

Great video by the way! I see you took it on a good day. I've seen it looking rather displeasing to the eye before.

Regards

Edited: 02 January 2012, 15:27
9. Re: Snrokelling in Barbados... and shore fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:21