We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cheapest grocery store

Italy
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
The cheapest grocery store

Hi again

Driving from the airport to Sunset Crest we'll need to buy our groceries for a week (we are on a self-catering). Previously we were using Jordans Supermarket or Supercenter. Jordans seemed to be more economic than the other one, but I have a feeling that these grocery stores are not the cheapest on the island... Is there any other big place with a huge choice of fruit and vegetables on the way from the airport to Holetown where we can buy everything and spend less? (not something where we need a special card to enter)

Mentioned in this post
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The cheapest grocery store

Prices in grocery stores are all within similar price ranges and don't forget for a number of reasons from transportation costs up to an increase in VAT food products are more expensive now. So your best bet is to look at Jordans and the Supercentre and then decide.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The cheapest grocery store

revya

There are indeed two grocery store chains which are cheaper than both Jordans and Super Centre, and offer significant savings to shoppers, I visit them everyweek. However, the problem is, they are located in highly commercial areas and they are not tourist friendly.

My advice to you is to stop at Super Centre in Warrens on your way from the Airport as this is, without a doubt, the best supermarket on the island. Although there is a smaller Super Centre in Sunset Crest, the Warrens store is the flagship and has the widest selection of products available.

Super Centre also has a much wider range of fruits and vegetables than Jordan's does and is much more tourist-friendly. It's only a week you're here for, so don't worry about it too much.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The cheapest grocery store

revya

Just to clear up something I didn't express in the best way.

<However, the problem is, they are located in highly commercial areas and they are not tourist friendly.>

It's the commercial areas that are not tourist friendly, not the supermarkets.

Regards

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The cheapest grocery store

What does "not tourist friendly" mean?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The cheapest grocery store

Netta1465

Someplace where 4S tourists don't normally go. Where there are no tourism-related businesses...no fine dining restaurants/hotels. Strictly residential and/or commercial zones...

Regards

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The cheapest grocery store

Netta don't worry ,there are no non tourist friendly supermarkets, G S just means you are not likely to be staying near to them because they are away from the usual areas that visitors stay.

There is a super newly built Supermarket at Black Rock called Carlton Supermarket which , when it was in it's old building ,was considerably cheaper for many things than Supercentre or Jordans, but when I visited it last , prices there had crept up a little, since it went "posh " and you would need transport to get there. Incidentally, this is the place where you can still buy fresh milk when they have a delivery but you will have to get in the queue.!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The cheapest grocery store

Sadowner

Well well well. And I thought I was the only one who went to Carlton Supermarket just to purchase that Velda Farms Milk from Florida. Well done to Mr. Bynoe.

That supermarket is now more expensive than Super Centre... I compared the prices in December and was shocked.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The cheapest grocery store

Well there you are GS , just shows that some of us long term "visitors" do know a thing or two eh !! I am not surprised you found it is now expensive, the things I go there for were always considerably less than Jordans, but not since it moved. Shame !

Italy
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The cheapest grocery store

We are not normal tourists at Barbados as we are on a very tight budget... Go self-catering, visit wild beaches with our own sunshade, eat mostly at home and go round the island ourselves. We are not interested in fine dining and hotels. We are young, dinamic and curious to know a real life of the country we go to. So any areas for locals are not frightening us until the locals are friendly and it is legal to go there. But if the commercial areas mentioned by you are not on the way from the airport to St.James - that will not be so comfortable, because after 9-hours flight in economy our child will not be happy to do any long drives in the car.

As my husband is vegan (strict vegetarian) and eats mostly vegetable food we'd like to find good fruit market as we had big difficulties with a quality of fruit and vegetables in the supermarkets. Only sweet potatoes and bananas were of decent quality, the other fruit we imported and not fresh, mostly green.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The cheapest grocery store

revya

The best markets we have for fruit and vegetables are in the heart of Bridgetown, such as Palmetto Square Market. But once again, the selection won't be as good as what Super Centre has.

If you do make it into Bridgetown, look for a store called Cherish on Swan Street or Popular Discounts on St. Michael's Row, near the Cathedral of St. Michael and All Angels. These are two of the cheaper stores which I mentioned.

But once again, I think you'd be going out of your way, as you're only here for one week, but it's up to you if such a journey is worth it, with a world-class supermarket just minutes away at Sunset Crest.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mentioned in this post