We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Shops

Manitoba.
11 posts
Save Topic
Rum Shops

I hear a lot of people speaking about "Rum Shops". What exactly is a rum shop and how do we find one. We'll be staying at the South Gap hotel, so something within walking or stumbling distance would be nice. Thanks. Only 29 more days to go!!! Hmmmm temp with the windchill is -29 today here in Manitoba, coincidence?

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Shops

Hi frozentoban,

Rum shops across Barbados are easily identified as they are usually built from wood and quite colorful. More often than not, you will find their exteriors well adorned with local advertising such as Banks Beer, Guiness, Coca Cola, Sprite, Frutee, Wibisco and Bico to name a few.

Honestly, you can't miss them. Just ask any Bajan (another name given to Barbadians) and you can be sure to find one nearby.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Shops

Rum shops are usually the front of someone's house sometimes including the front room sometimes just the outside with a bit of a roof. tables and chairs.

They are local bars selling rum and beer ,other drinks and cigarettes , some sell cutters ( sandwiches ) and other food and many sell provisions especially if they are in communities that are a good distance from supermarkets.

A Rum shop is where you will find the locals drinking their rum , gossiping , playing dominoes and generally hanging out ( Liming ) Some have Karaoke on certain nights, some don't , but everyone should visit at least one on their travels

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum Shops

Here's a website with links to many rum shops and an explanation about them. http://www.partyjoe.net/home.html

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Shops

Can you take a child into a run shop with you?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Shops

As I said Rum shops are usually the front of a house which is often full of children who will be running about outside after school .depending on how busy the road is. You will be sitting outside, or on a verandha so you can have a child with you-------------------just watch out for the odd heated discussion between a couple of locals who may have been there some time and have drunk a bit too much rum !!! They will be loud !!!

Edited: 19 January 2012, 08:37
Manitoba.
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Shops

Thanks for all the info. My curiosity has been satisfied,but not my thirst. We will visit a few I'm sure. Thanks for the party joe link, lots of great info.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Shops

When you come out of your hotel and turn left you eventually come to the main road. There is a Rum shop straight across the road, called The Watering Hole, all i will say is please do not go in there, the owner is a very rude person and has upset a hell of a lot of people......your choice of course but i'm just making you aware.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Shops

a good one to go to is Lemon Arbour, correct? though a bit difficult to get to? Can you get there by bus?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Shops

bajanblue

Yes, Lemon Arbour is a good one to go to. You would need to get to Fairchild Street Bus Terminal in Bridgetown and take the Society Bus into St. John. This passes through Lemon Arbour.

Regards

Montreal
Level Contributor
632 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Shops

That Partyjoe site is excellent, but is it comprehensive?

There seems to be lots of shops in and around Speightstown but relatively few in Christchurch.

Canby what is your opinion on the new Mt Gay bottle shape?

I personally prefer the old one but I am definitely a traditionalist.