We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed On Beaches

Grand Rapids...
11 posts
Save Topic
Seaweed On Beaches

I read some stories late last year (August) about seaweed washing up on Barbados beaches. The news report said there was "a large quantity of the seaweed out in the ocean, and approaching islands of the eastern Caribbean, waiting to be dumped here in the coming months."

Did that large quantity of seaweed ever show up or is it waiting until I arrive?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

ALGrant

I haven't seen any seaweed on any beaches here since before Christmas last year. This includes East, South and West Coast beaches. Hence, there's nothing for you to worry about IMHO.

Regards

Edited: 26 January 2012, 23:22
Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

My friend, who left here yesterday, said there was some seaweed in the sea off of the shore but not actually on the beach along the south coast a few days ago. I haven't seen any impact on the beach as yet so hopefully it will get swept elsewhere.

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

Hi ALGrant,

I was on the east and west coast just last week and saw no sign of seaweed there. From what I see, the coast looks clear.

Let's hope it really isn't waiting until you arrive.:):)m Hardly think so

Regards

manchester
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

there was some seaweed on the beach when i was there January on the beach at crystal waters [sandy beach]but it had been cleared after a few days. so hopefully it has now gone

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

AL, the seaweed problem impacted several caribbean countries of the lesser Antilies, Barbados included. At this point I think it's safe to say that the coast is clear.

BB

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

Sandy Beach remained clear last week. No sign of seaweed on Dover Beach.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

It sounds like you got your answer, yes it's waiting until you arrive.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

There was a lot on Dover Beach last September, so hopefully that was it!

Grand Rapids...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

No matter what the beaches look like I will be so very happy and grateful just to be there.

Thanks everyone for the information!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
241 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaweed On Beaches

Did not see any on any West/South coast beach. But, last week there was plenty on Bath/Bathsheba. Bath wasn't very nice as you had to wade through it all to get to clear water!

And at North Point - you could see large groups of it in the sea. This was last week - so hopefully things can improve on the East Coast.