We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking law in Barbados

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
smoking law in Barbados

Hi can anyone tell me what the smoking law / policies are in Barbados please?

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking law in Barbados

barbadoscaribbeantravel.com/tag/…

The only area which seems to very individual is hotel balconies & grounds so you may wish to check with your hotel/accomodation of choice. Some places state themselves as non-smoking.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Here is just one post about it.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k40…

Just enter 'smoking ban' in the search box and you will get enough info.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking law in Barbados

honey13339

We imposed a no smoking in public places ban on October 1st 2010. The definition of any Barbados establishment that the new ban covers would include: enclosed bars and restaurants with a permanent or temporary roof - and either fully enclosed or substantially enclosed.

Smokers found guilty of breaking the regulations may face a $500 BBD fine (500.00 BBD = $250.000 USD), a 12-month prison term – or both!

Business owners found guilty of allowing people to smoke in a public place could be fined $5,000 BBD ($5,000.00 BBD = $2,500.00 USD), be imprisoned for 12 months – or both.

Please be guided accordingly and have a wonderful stay in Barbados!

Regards

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Thanks BGI for coming up with informative answer. I'm really please that it is pretty much no smoking, as there is nothing worse than going home smelling like an old ashtray because of other people.

Have read loads of your answers to other questions and they are always the best and most informed.....thanks for your patience, I know there are others here that seem to get so gripey about us asking questions that have been asked before and just want us using the search box, but on the few occasions I have searched for answers in previously asked questions, a lot of them are old and I prefer to have more recent and up to date posts.......also I guess it is impossible for us tourists to come up with unique questions just so they aren't repeating an answer,

Thanks once again, and I'll be raising a glass or two or three to you in a couple of weeks time

XX

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Many thanks for your link Footychick

xx

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking law in Barbados

honey13339

Wow, you're welcome and thank you for your kind comments.

I agree and I always prefer to take the time to give an informative answer as sometimes old threads contain inaccurate and outdated information. You can ask anything you wish, no matter how many times it may have been asked in the past. I for one won't mind at all.

Hope you have a splendid holiday here.

Regards

Edited: 08 February 2012, 16:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking law in Barbados

I too have noticed that some of the other "experienced" posters get a bit touchy about previously discussed topics - but if everyone did a "search" for things (as they would love us to) what would these experts have to do all day : ) ???

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Not sure if i am classed in the "experienced" category but if i am i think i have said 'use the search box' about 2 or 3 times in the whole time on here.

south coast england
Level Contributor
140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Cheers all

xx

Stockholm
Level Contributor
755 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoking law in Barbados

Does anyone know if you can smoke at the balcony at The Hilton? I just booked and love to sit outside with a drink and enjoy a smoke. If we have to smoke outside restaurants isn't a problem as I have to do the same thing in Sweden. But outside areas?

How does it work on the beaches, can you smoke lying in your sunbed?