We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from the airport

Italy
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Driving from the airport

Hello again

Could anyone remind me the rules for roundabouts in Barbados? We have a right-side driving here in Italy so the rules may vary and left-side driving is a bit stressful for us. In Ita the driver who is already on the roundabout has an absolute priority and what about Barbados? How do we do the roundabout?

Can anyone explain to me the most simple and less stressful way from the airport to the Supercenter at Warens (which signs do we have to follow?)? The google explanaition is horrible.

thanx a lot

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from the airport

revya

All the roundabouts on the major highways are "jambusting" roundabouts. As you approach the roundabout in a single lane it gradually turns into two lanes. The left hand lane is for turning left or going straight ahead. The right hand lane is for going right or straight ahead. Upon going straight ahead, you'd merge back into one lane UNLESS, you are on a two lane stretch of road. It's not that hard to get used to, just take your time. You should encounter about 9 roundabouts between the Airport and St. James.

Here's the simplest route to Super Centre Warrens. Leave the airport's car park, make a right at the roundabout immediately ahead of you and proceed down the highway. From there it's straight travelling no turns at all until you approach Wildey, St. Michael. When you pass the Garfield Sobers Roundabout you'll proceed down Wildey Main Road, make a right at the Texaco Station and follow the road merging into either the middle or left lane. The you'll go up the hill towards the Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic. Keep travelling straight down the ABC highway, make NO TURNS whatsoever. You'll pass Mall Internationale on your right and keep going straight. As you approach Warrens, you'll see Barbados Shipping and Trading on your left and the headquarters of CIBC First Caribbean International Bank on your right. Keep straight at the roundabout and you'll see Super Centre on your left. Merge into the left lane (closest to Chefette) and make the left at the roundabout and follow the road around CGI Towers... then make the left to enter Super Centre.

One word of caution, on departing Super Centre, you can ONLY make a left turn to exit. The right turn option ceased in November 2011. Therefore, you make a left, follow the road briefly and make another left. You'll pass Pricesmart on your right, Dacosta Mannings on your left and this will take you back to the highway. Then you proceed onwards to your place of stay.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me to make any clarifications to you.

Regards

Edited: 14 February 2012, 23:47
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from the airport

Just a couple of things to add to those really good directions.

Yes, the traffic already on the roundabout takes priority over the traffic joining the roundabout.

Generally speaking, I find that drivers in Barbados are courteous eg they will let you out of side roads, stop for pedestrians etc. Also, as a general rule, traffic moves more slowly in Barbados than it does in Europe.

Do be on the look out for pot holes and drainage ditches at the sides of the road - not a problem so much on the main highway but can be on more minor routes.

I don't know if this helps but some years ago when I was trying to get to grips with driving on the right in Spain (of course we drive on the left here in the UK) I was told to remember this rule - when going round a roundabout the driver should keep their side of the vehicle closer to the roundabout than the front passenger side. It worked for me! (Only works if the car is designed to be driven in the specific right/left had conditions which apply but your hire car in Barbados will be one built for left hand drive conditions)

Have fun - and remember that getting lost in Barbados is part of that fun. People will be willing to help if needed.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from the airport

"...your hire car in Barbados will be one built for left hand drive conditions"

Terminology can be confusing. The car itself is *right-hand drive*. It drives on the left side of the road. The terms "left-hand drive" or "right-hand drive" typically refer to the car and not the road. I know you realize this but the way that sentence was written it could be confusing to someone coming from a different system.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from the airport

Thank you bpfife - yes that is exactly what I meant lol!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from the airport

When I learnt to drive at roundabouts the rule was "always give way to the right" if that makes sense. Traffic will be approaching from your right so let them pass before entering the roundabout.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from the airport

I drive for a living in the UK. Once I've gone through several roundabouts - I switch into 'Bajan-driver' mode...

Chill out. Nobody indicates. A quick blow of the horn means 'after-you'.

And we stay near the warrens. EVERY day we passed through the main roundabout there - and accident was being cleared up!!

7. Re: Driving from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:09