We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

Sydney
9 posts
Save Topic
West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

Hi everyone,

We'll be island-hopping in the Caribbean for our honeymoon, and would like to stay for three days in Barbados, preferably near a decent swimming/snorkelling beach. Any recommendations for a clean, safe hotel? Nothing fancy. We'd like to keep our costs around $100, but up to $150 if it's really worth it. We won't have a car so will need to be close to public transport.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

Are you quoting US$ and what month are you travelling? Prices vary so much between the months.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

MissMax

On the West Coast I'd recommend Sunswept Hotel or Coral Lane Beach Apartments.

On the South Coast I'd recommend Coconut Court, Coral Mist, Rostrevor or Butterfly Beach Hotel.

These should fit your bill and requirements perfectly.

Regards

Edited: 22 February 2012, 12:27
Sydney
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

Hi Footy chick, I'm quoting in US dollars and I'll be in Barbados at the end of August.

Where would be better to stay for three days, the West Coast or the South Coast?

Thanks for all those tips, BGI World Traveller.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

With a limited budget the south coast is a better fit.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

If you are looking for something quiet and romantic then this may be an option for you on the West coast. Gibbs Bay Inn.

It is a most beautiful house and just opposite one of the best beaches on the west coast. Gibbs Beach is very quiet and has crystal clear water, great for swimming and snorkelling.

For US $155 per night per room you will get the most wonderful breakfast and afternoon tea with homemade sandwiches and cakes.

There is a bus stop right on the doorstep which will take you to Holetown within 10 minutes or so.

The rooms each have their own living area and kitchen and are very spacious.

Take a look : http://www.gibbsbayinn.com/index.html

Edited: 22 February 2012, 20:53
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

MissMax

You're welcome. On a budget such as yours I'd definitely recommend south coast as well.

Regards

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

Babiface's recommendation looks lovely. You could look at Maresol directly on Dover Beach they have a 3 night minimum. http://www.maresolbeach.net/

They are situated in the Gap close to bars & restaurants.

Edited: 22 February 2012, 21:39
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

I stayed at Gibbs Bay Inn recently and did not like it at all. The room smelled musty and damp and lacked security, the breakfast was good but we felt quite isolated, the beach is lovely but you had to cross a very busy road to get to it. If you intend hiring a car it might make life easier. We checked out Palm Beach condos in Holetown and they were more to what we want next time.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

I loved it at Gibbs Inn!

It is very quiet and peaceful. If the OP is looking for this then Gibbs Inn is perfect. It has an olde world charm.

My room was not at all musty or damp. There was also a security man there day and night on the front gate house who would kindly take my beach chair across to the beach each morning! ... Great service!

The road that you cross to Gibbs Beach is the one that stretches right along the west coast. It is a very narrow road but does get busy I agree. However the cars nearly always stop to let pedestrians cross as in most areas in Barbados.

I used to hop on the bus in the afternoon or evening and was in Holetown for a meal or drinks .... no problem.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: West/South Coast - inexpensive honeymoon hotel

You must have had a better room than us then as I think ours had not been used for years! I do not want to sound negative as the owners are trying their best but unless they spend mega bucks they are not going to attract discerning guests which I think is their goal. In its day this place must have been a classic!

Edited: 23 February 2012, 11:52