We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

This ad was in the Sunday Sun of March 4th and is reproduced below. Though it targets Barbadians maybe some tourists can give their thoughts and ideas also.

"Tourism Who Cares?

We want to give you an opportunity to make a real difference in how we manage our destination. We want you ideas on how we as a country, can:

-improve the relationship between our guests (visitors) and he Barbados public

-improve the quality of the experience of our guests

-ensure our guests are provided with accurate and useful information

-develop other systems to support the continued success of the industry which provides our livelihood

Do you care? If you care send us your ideas on how to improve our guest experience to barbadostogether@visitbarbados.org"

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

First thing-ban jetskis! Everyone I've spoken to here hates them. Ban smoking on the beaches - nothing worse than a beach full of cigarette butts. And get those lunatic bus drivers to slow down. I'll be sending an email-was going to anyway about not returning til they do something about the jetski problem.

2. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 17:35
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

It is not the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association (BHTA), it is the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA) who has spearheaded this initiative.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 12:38
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

Correction BTA not BHTA, oh those fingers how they get in the way of things.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

Canby,

I was suprised when the Ministry of Tourism did NOT include (initially) one critical component of our tourism industry (the actual visitors) when they were holding the Town Hall Meetings for the elusive 'white paper'.

This appears to be happening again with Tourism, Who Cares?

I have just submitted by initial comments which suggested that the 'ad' that appeared in the Sunday Sun today, was replicated into a flyer and placed in each room of our hotels, villas, guest houses, condominiums, apartments etc. The 12 day maximum reponse deadline time may make this impractical,

but it should have been thought through and implemented. Any overall and meaningful constructive comment conclusions would have to include the suggestions of our visitors.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

One thing I would suggest is that they do something to ease the pain of planning journeys by bus ....surely one of the nicest and cheapest ways to see the island

The Transport Board web site is a nightmare --- even if you know the island and the names of places and the parishes

No 1 request would be to produce a simple map that shows the routes ...there is only one on the web site ( for the #27 ) so it can be done but it is not easy to find unlews you already found the route

Then make the web site searchable by route number - for times and frequencies ...or make it searchable by origin AND destination

A printed version of the route map would be VERY helpful to tourists

A printed timetable might be too expensive and /or complicated to produce but would be the ultimate travel aid

Does anyone know why they have never done this ....or why I have never seen one ???

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

mdp963,

Great idea. Many, many years ago I suggested to the Transport Board to offer a DAY bus pass (say BDS$10) which would give unlimited travel on all routes during off-peak periods. ie: 9am-3pm working days and all day weekends. The map could be sponsored by a number of businesses and need not cost the TB anything. I also think it would bring a new stream of revenue to them. I counted nine car hire vehicles in our car park this morning for our 22 rooms. But a number of guests do not like to rent a car for all sorts of reasons.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

PS .... I would , and I am sure so would others, pay a few BDS$ for a map & timetable

....Email sent to BTA

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

Although the new BGI is much better than the old version, I think that the overall arrival experience could be improved. Getting the baggage off more quickly would be good - ours have been off fairly quickly but it took an hour last time and ours was the only large plane in at the time. Whilst security and immigration are not laughing matters anywhere, maybe immigration officials (once they have determined that they are going to let me in) could crack a vague smile?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BHTA Tourism Who Cares? Wants Ideas To Improve Tourism

Almatt

Regarding baggage, that isn't an issue for the BTA unfortnately. That is a matter strictly for the airlines involved and their handling companies. For example, you travel on Virgin which operates a 747-400 with 451 seats. Average that at 1.5 pieces of luggage per passenger (because economy can have 1, premium 2 and upper 3) thats 677 pieces of luggage. The other compounding factor is that Upper Class bags arrive first, then Premium Economy and Economy third. Lastly, if you check-in early whether coming from MAN or LGW, your bags will be the first to be packed in the hold and last to come out. So based on all those factors the time to receive baggage will vary from time to time. Sometimes it'll be quick, sometimes it'll be slow.

I make a number of roundtrips BGI-LGW annually on BA and upon return I've never waited more than 30 minutes for luggage. That's partially because it's a smaller aircraft, only 229 seats and they have a more efficient handling company IMHO. Virgin uses Caribbean Aircraft Handling while BA uses Seawell Air Services. Similar to Virgin, First bags arrive first, then Club World then WT+ and WT.

I agree though, immigration officials definitely need to smile more and make tourists feel more welcomed.

Regards

Edited: 04 March 2012, 16:03