We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Hire Research

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cat Hire Research

In my research I found an online agency that offered cheap rentals. I read some poor reviews so decided to book direct if I rent.

I emailed six car hire agencies and heard back from three of them. The quickest response was from Bajan Card Rentals, who in fact replied within an hour of my inquiry. The most recent response (3 days) is from Fat Jacks. Interesting response i might add, as Fat Jacks price was higher than the others, and they wanted cash, no credit cards. Based on previous reviews I won't pursue FJ..

Best price so far, and who offer online quotes is Drive A Matic. I'm leaning their way.

Re CDW, anyone use their credit card in lieu of purchasing CDW excess from the agency? Any dangers in not purchasing CDW excess?

****D*mmit that auto spell correct. Just noticed the subject line. Should Read Car Hire Research but edit won't let me correct subject line.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 16:24
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat Hire Research

I have indeed tried to rent a cat on the island. Problem is, they're just so darned finicky. One day they'll run fine, the next day they're at a dead stop and just sit there looking at you, as if to say, "What?!?!? I don't feel like going to the beach. Take a bus."

It's also important to note that the Catastrophic Dog Waiver (CDW) is very expensive and may be covered under your own policy so do some research before you go. I've seen the results of not having coverage and trust me, it ain't pretty. Fur, teeth, and blood flying everywhere.

Then there's always the problem of getting the key in them.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat Hire Research

bpfife

<****D*mmit that auto spell correct. Just noticed the subject line. Should Read Car Hire Research but edit won't let me correct subject line.>

Regards

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat Hire Research

"Then there's always the problem of getting the key in them"

Good one!.

Have to check my emails to the Car hire agencies. Could understand poor response rate if I asked about hiring a cat.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat Hire Research

Oh bfife...quit making me laugh so much...my sides are splitting.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat Hire Research

The only danger in not taking CDW (Catastrophic Dog Waver )is the amount of accidents you get involved in that are either no fault or your fault. It all depends (easily available) on what your deduction is. Owners love their dogs and get very upset if you kill them with a car, it's very messy. Cats for some reason are very rarely road kill.

Check with your credit card company for this (CDW) type of coverage and if it's available in BIM. VISA covers this if you have one.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat Hire Research

"Check with your credit card company for this (CDW) type of coverage and if it's available in BIM. VISA covers this if you have one."

Uhhhhhmm, you are referring to Damage Waiver here.....right?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cat Hire Research

Yes. The first paragraph was just a bit of fun. You'll take a few jabs with this but it's all in pure fun, no offense intended.

I've used my VISA for CDW in many places you just have to check to make sure you get the coverage in the country you're going to visit. The only disadvantage is if you do have an accident then that amount stays on the card and reduces your available credit until it's resolved.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cat Hire Research

No offense taken lollipop.. (note: I typed lol but auto spell correct substituted lollipop, and I definitely wasn't referring to you as lollipop!).

So if I wrecked a car and did not purchase CDW but used my Visa CDW coverage, and I did not have sufficient room on my card to cover the damages and while Visa resolves the claim with the car hire agency, what happens to me? I can't leave the island until claim paid? Wonder how long it takes to resolve?

Seems too risky to not pay agency CDW.

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cat Hire Research

Hi smokey66,

Drive-A-Matic offers Extra Protection (E.P.) which is always recommended.

If E.P. is declined, hirer accepts responsibility up to US$2,000 for loss, damage, or loss of the vehicle caused by accident, fire or theft, regardless of who is at fault.

If E.P. is accepted, responsibility for damages is reduced to US$125.00 providing the vehicle is operated in accordance with all conditions of our contract.

In the event that E.P. was declined, and the vehicle was damaged, the client will be charged a maximum of US$2,000 which must be paid prior to departure.

Hope this adds some measure of clarity

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cat Hire Research

Thanks Patrice. I can deal with $2000