We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Me again!! I would like to swim in the evening in South Coast, when the sea is calm, is it safe?(female, single/young...) Also walk around at midnight on my own? Please do let me know if it's stupid...thanks a lot!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

I would not swim after dark and sunset is usually around 6pm and it gets dark very quickly. In a word yes, it is stupid! Where do you want to walk around at midnight? If it a well lit place with lots of other people around then I would say ok. If you plan on walking on a beach then NO. You will find very few people on a beach after sunset in Barbados. If you plan on walking back to your hotel from a bar thru an area where there are no other pedestrians and it is not well lit or security are not present ...as a Mother, I would also say NO. If on the other hand you have a black belt in Karate or are proficient in Krav etc and you are confident you can handle a mugger then its your choice.And btw the sea on the south coast never does get really calm, there is usually always wave action. I am glad you have sense enough to ask about your safety in these matters and just did not go off on your own and take a rash chance. (Speaking as a Mother) lol

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Thank you so much MrsBB!! I might have a walk in GreenGarden/Enterprise/Atlantic Shores area...I guess safe? I got your point! Beach certainly not then! ( I thought that it might be romantic...people don't do this kind of thing in Barbados? :() Yes, I usually act rashly!

Best regards!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

You'll be ok swimming just after sunset on one of the more popular beaches as a lot of locals do the same, but as the previous poster commented, avoid deserted beaches at night, just to be safe.

As for walking around, again, as the previous poster said, yes, it's fine if you're in a busy lit area, but not down dark alleys or quiet roads, best to take a taxi - just as at home...

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

llffti l,

I would definitely say that is sound advice from MrsBB

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Thank you so much LittleMissRed!! I will swim and walk in early morning...not too early...

Best regards!

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Thank you!! sometimes I am stupid!!

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

sharing a room with a total stranger....walking round on your own at night. No ones that stupid...are they?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Just do the same as you do at home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

I also ditto Mrs. BB's advice. Night-time swimming isn't safe for a number of reasons. You may be dragged out on a current with no-one to help you. This is not advisable.

Enjoy your time in Bim (safely).

BB

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to swim in the evening/walk around at midnight?

Just do the same as you do at home.