We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers - best resort for us?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
first timers - best resort for us?

Hi all,

We are extremely excited about seeing this beautiful island first hand. Trying to determine which is the best resort for our needs. Calm waters with decent snorkeling is a big point for us, but not as interested in nightlife, etc. Travel agent has recommended Bougainvillea or Crane, but not sure the locations are right for us. Have heard calmest waters on west coast. Any locations that pop to mind on West coast that are family friendly with a wide beach, clam waters and good snorkeling? Thanks!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

familyoffourMA

Glad to hear you've chosen Barbados.

You definitely won't get calm waters at the Crane. You can at times get them at the Bougainvillea. Here are some properties which you should consider:

South Coast: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa, Coral Mist, Hilton Barbados

West Coast: The Tamarind, the Sandpiper, Colony Club

Do take a look at www.totallybarbados.com where you will find a wealth of quality and up-to-date information on the island.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

I would be a bit disappointed in a travel agent to recommend both of these resorts if you set out your priorities as above neither can offer calm waters and snorkeling. The Bougainvillea does sometimes have calm waters but does not have snorkeling, but is a great resort. The Crane really is beautiful but the water is very choppy and would not offer snorkeling because of this. You are more likely to get calm waters on the west coast. I think your travel agent should do some research!!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

These recommendations were made before we were more specific as to our interests. Since I am now more familiar with the Island, and thanks for the input as to the West coast, are there resorts (middle to upper middle range budget) that come to mind for wide beaches and great snorkeling in this area? I have come across Mullins Beach, are there recommended resorts in that area? Thanks again for any insight ...

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

familyoffourMA

There aren't any hotels immediately around Mullins Beach. However they are lots of villas and condos nearby. Perhaps you can look at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion which has a great beach and snorkelling as well.

Regards

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

great suggestion, thank you!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

familyoffourMA

You're welcome!

Regards

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

In Barbados the widest beaches tend to be in the South, my little picture to the left is at the Bougainvillea which is a wonderful beach. This link will take you to many clips of the great beaches in Barbados.

http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

For the best beach on the West Coast, the following hotels will suit your needs , All have good beaches and good swimming and snorkeling.

Sandpiper

Coral Reef

Colony Club

Fairmont Royal Pavilion

Treasure Beach ( although this is not in the best location for Restaurants and shops )

Sandpiper is in the best position with regards to distance from Restaurants, shops and bars, It was the first and only hotel I ever stayed at and I loved it--------

Edited: 14 March 2012, 12:11
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

great information all, thank you!

10. Re: first timers - best resort for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:15