We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel with dive shop?

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel with dive shop?

Hi Barbados forum ...

We're heading to Barbados next month & would like to do some reef snorkeling. What we don't want: a party boat, lots of loud music & drinking.

Reserving a catamaran for a pvt sail is beyond our budget. I've read that dive shops often take snorkelers out on their trips. Can anyone who's done it tell me how that is &/or make recommendations?

Thanks ... and thanks for all the advice I've gleaned here already!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,665 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

NYCgal S

I've sent a number of persons to Roger's Scuba Shack in the last six months and they were all pleased with their trips out.

www.rogers-scubashack.com.bb

You can contact them via the link above.

Regards

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

Thanks, BGIWorldTraveller! I'll drop them an email .... :)

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

Yeah, Roger and his brothers are out on the wrecks at Carlisle Bay every afternoon. Great guys.

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

Halloo again. Thanks again to you both for the suggestion, but I've been having such a hard time communicating with Roger's (after 10 days I still don't have answers to basic questions) that I'm feeling like it may not be the best idea for us. Snorkeling isn't really their bread & butter, so I get it that their focus may be elsewhere.

That said, if we were to go out on one of the regular snorkel tours, which line would you folks say is the LEAST like a party boat? I'm guessing they're all basically booze cruises but our interest is more in swimming & relaxing than on rum punch. Any feedback or suggestions would be most welcome!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
98 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

I wouldn't consider Calabaza a booze cruise at all. It's more like sailing with friends for a day and having a catered picnic at sea. Yes, alcohol is available, but so are soft drinks and juice. The small maximum number of 12 keeps the mood from getting crazy like a spring break site. Perhaps read their reviews to see whether you find them compatible with your desires.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

Stiletto and The Why Not/Wasn't Me Catamarans are smaller as well (carry fewer people) and I would think they are more there for the sun/sailing and snorkeling rather than the drinking.

You could also try Barbados Blue as a dive outfit and they also include snorkeling trips.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,665 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

NYCgal S

You're welcome and sorry to hear about the communication issues with Rogers. I could only imagine they might be having issues with their e-mail as they are usually so prompt to reply.

I would definitely consider Cool Runnings' day cruise as well.

www.coolrunningsbarbados.com/cruises.html

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

You might want to consider Ocean Mist.

www.oceanmistbarbados.com

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

You guys are all the best! Thanks, I'm going to enjoy spending this chill, damp rainy NY day making Barbados plans :)

10. Re: Snorkel with dive shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:41