We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

broussard
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

I am trying to decide between the turtle beach and BourgainvIllea for our vacation this summer with our 18 month old what would you recommend? If we go with BourgainvIllea we would save about $250 a night which we would use on food etc is $250 plenty per day for food and drinks?

How is the location compared to TBR? We would like to be close enough to the gap so if we wanted to walk there for lunch or dinner we could.

Lastly is the beach any calmer at BourgainvIllea? I read TBR can be very rough.

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

The rwo properties are on the same stretch of beach, about a 5 minute walk apart. The water is slightly calmer at the Boug in my experience, and the beach is a bit wider. The TBR is right next to the south end of the gap and is easily accessible at all hours. The gap is easily walkable from the the Boug down the beach, but not really recommended at night, You would have to walk to the main road and then north, about a 25 min. walk. or take a taxi.

It depends whether you want an all inclusive or not. Personally I think 250$ a day is much more than plenty for food, unless you really like your drinks. Plus you can get a much wider choice of food.

All in all both properties are in a really nice location, just depends on which plan you prefer.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

I agree - both are great. TB is closer to the Gap but it is all inclusive and you may prefer the flexibility which the self catering facilities at The Boug, especially when traveling with a young child.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

My preference is the Bougainvillea my little picture to the left is from The Bougainvillea the TB is at the far end. As has been said the walk during the day is fine but its a little too far at night. I would say that the sea at the Bougainvillea is always calmer than at the TB the entry to the sea is more gradual and the width of the sand is far greater. I'm no expert on seas & waves but I assume it has something to do with the headland which is at the TB.

If its location then the TB wins because of proximity to the Gap but the facilities and room types makes the Boug a winner for me. Another AI which is the other side of the Boug is Sea Breeze but that is a little further away from the Gap.

broussard
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

Thank you all so much for the great information! I was looking at the menu at Bougainvillea and it was Very expensive ($50) for lunch is this what I can expect to pay in the gap? Could you give me an idea of what an average lunch, dinner and a cost per drink would be?

Again thanks for all your help!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

Rum & coke, Banks beer are approx $5 - $7bds, imported alcohol is usually double that.

Dinner can cost anything between $50 - $100bds, it can cost more depending where you are eating and if you have a few courses.

You can get quite cheap but excellent breakfast & lunches at Happydays cafe which is situated in the Chattel village. Also you can get lunch at Scotties mini mart, they have a hot range every day and there is quite a good variation, pretty cheap but plentiful.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 13:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

And note that those menu prices may be in Barbados in which case, the cost is half.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

At lunchtime Leroy has a food van outside the Bougainvillea great for local dishes that you can eat at lunchtime or use in the evening. He has fish stews & soups, rice & vegetables, great local drinks like golden apple and mauby. You will have a fridge & kitchen facilities to get your own breakfasts.

broussard
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

Y'all are the best!

Would you say it is safe to walk to the gap at night from tb or would you revommend taking a taxi?

Are there any resturaunts outside bourgainvillea within walking distance for dinner (safe to walk at night)? Or even other hotel resturaunts

Last question I promise! What about entertainment at the hotels? Or is there live entertainment nearby?

Again thanks for all your help!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

It is safe to walk to the gap from both hotels however the easiest way and the shortest from the Boug is along the beach which I wouldn't do at night but it is a lovely walk during the day especially for breakfast. At night you would need to walk via the road and it takes about 30 mins about 20 mins to some of the bars and restaurants. It's safe an easy from TB about 10 mins.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BourgainvIllea Location and beach???

I guess with a small child you are not likely to be out very late and you'll be perfectly safe walking into the Gap from TB and back. If I was alone then I'd get a taxi back for safety but if I am with my husband I'd walk - same as at home.

The other hotels close to the Boug ie Sea Breeze and Barbados Beach Club are all inclusive but you could use their restaurants and pay. Sea Breeze is likely to be the better of the two going by the reviews on here. There is Charlie's Bar which serves food but you'd need to walk up onto the main road.

Entertainment in Barbados hotels tends to be low key. I think it would be as good at TB as anywhere.