We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

I was reading an article yesterday and it stated that Barbados is not actually in the Caribbean but in the Atlantic ! i thought it was divided as in East = Atlantic, South & West = Caribbean.

Anyone clarify this ?

ps the article was in something like Conde Nast online.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

This is how its described on Wiki (not that its always correct).........The island is situated in the Atlantic Ocean, east of the other West Indies Islands.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,515 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

BRETTSKI8

IMHO your thought is correct. East = Atlantic, South & West = Caribbean

Regards

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

From another article.......

When people think of the island of Barbados, they most wrongly identify it as being in the Caribbean Sea. However, contrary to popular belief, this island nation is actually geographically located in the western Atlantic Ocean, at around 13 degrees north of the equator and 59 degrees west of the Greenwich meridian.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

I was told years ago by several members of the sailing fraternity that Barbados is actually all in the Atlantic, and looking at the map I can see why, We seem to be set out too far east to be truly in the Caribbean. However sailing up to and around North Point, there is such a difference in the sea where the Caribbean and the Atlantic are supposed to meet, it does make you wonder !!!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

Yes I agree it's in The Atlantic - too far east to be in The Caribbean sea. It has to be in one or the other though I think Brett and BGI as it's too small to straddle across both.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

These links will confirm what footchick has said, Barbados is not in the Caribbean Sea. It's very close.

gleded.info/ecologyandconservationarea.html

britannica.com/EBchecked/…Caribbean-Sea

Connecticut
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

But I have been telling everyone I am going on vacation in the caribbean next week. What am I supposed to say? "Im going to the Atlantic"?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

jsa 1974--------------- Just say you are going to Barbados . The name is enough, who cares what sea ( or Ocean) it's in? It's only because the Caribbean Sea SOUNDS more romantic Have a great holiday.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 11:50
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

Thanks everyone, so it looks like them Atlantic :-(

I do think in our hearts it is the Caribbean so let us keep that with us.

BGI, i was hoping it was !

jsa1974, Imagine having to change the lyrics in the song " I'm going to Barbados" to, - "in the sunny Atlantic sea"

Edited: 23 March 2012, 12:09
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean or the Atlantic ?

I agree with Westiegal and Brett, Caribbean sounds much more romantic and in my heart it'll always be the Caribbean....imagine changing the words of the song Beautiful Barbados to gem of the Atlantic Sea, I don't think so...