We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Hi guys,

Our airline ticket allows us to check in two suitcases each and although i could easily pack enough clothes/shoes to fill two suitcases, my hubby believes in travelling light!

As we are staying in an apartment rather than a hotel I thought I could use some of this extra luggage allowance to bring in some home comforts such as coffee, cereal, crisps etc! Is it ok to bring (non-perishable) food items in to Barbados?

Also, is sun tan lotion/insect repellent a reasonable price in Barbados or am I best buying that type of thing in UK?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

What you mentioned such as cereal etc isn't a problem but there are restrictions on meats and dairy products. See the links below.

Bring your sun screen with you it's less expensive.

www.agriculture.gov.bb/agri/index.php…

http://www.gaia.bb/content/customs

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

scousegirl67

Yes, it is perfectly fine to bring non-perishable food items in to Barbados. I would definitely recommend the coffee, teabags, cereal, Walkers Crisps, biscuits, cream crackers, jaffa cakes etc.

Yes, sun tan lotion is available and at the reasonable price. Insect repellent is a tad on the expensive side, the one I buy "OFF" is $25 BBD a tin which is about £7.50, but it works like a dream. I'd say, purchase the Sun Tan Lotion in the UK, purchase the insect repellent here as OFF is stronger than those offered by Boots/Superdrug.

Hope this helps

Regards

Edited: 29 April 2012, 12:40
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

I buy my sun lotion here, as the price is comparable with the UK and they have Australian Gold here, which I find way superior to any product sold in England. You can find a good choice in Supercentre Supermarket.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

I would also say to buy your insect repellent in Barbados as 'OFF' is much more effective.

Normally I would also say to buy your sun lotion in Barbados but there are lots of half price offers on at the moment here in the UK supermarkets and so general brands like Piz Buin and Ambre Solaire are best bought before you go.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

scousegirl67

You're welcome!

Regards

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Thanks for the tip re "Off"...didn't realize it was a different formula in Barbados..so now I will have to ask the question on the 'Canada' forum re bringing home a banned substance in my luggage..lol

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

BGI is spot on bring coffee , sugar etc with you .I tried loads of insect repellants last year and OFF was the best by far I have tried to purchase in UK but its £12 a tin so we will buy when we get there in June I think Scousegirl67 we maybe on the same flight 11th June from Manchester ? also we too are planning a trip to the races on the 16th have been many times to Barbados but until now there has not been a race meeting on so hubbie very excited .

Does anyone know it is a dress up affair or is it casual at the races .

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Casual dress for the races, unless you want to dress up of course!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing Food Into Barbados?

Yes Pollytours, we are on the same flight! Maybe we should wear a flower in our hair or a carry a newspaper under our arm so we can recognise each other & swap racing tips on the plane!!

We've never been to Barbados before so are really excited about it!