We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Hi all,

I really like Tortuga Rum Cake and Mount Gay XO. The cheapest I found on the entire Island was actually in the GAP! I paid a 1L bottle of X.O at the Green Rum Shop just ouside the Gap ( on HWY 7 36BDS!... it was 44$ at the grocery store, and 48$ at Cave Shepard from what I remember). As for the tortuga Rum cake the large one was 22BDS.. everywhere else was selling them over 25.. anyone know if these are the cheapest, or can I find a better deal somewhere else?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Lupo1985

$36 for a 1L of Mount Gay XO? Are you absolutely certain it was a 1L bottle? If so, that's an incredible price. Anywhere between $22 - $25 is the norm for Tortuga Rum Cake. Most places I've been to have them for about $23.50....so you've done well.

Regards

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

BGI, do you know if Caribbean black cake (Christmas cake) is available year round?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Excellent! That's what I thought. and YES it is the 1Litre bottle. I saw the bottle on top of the bar racks, behind the counter. The gentleman at the counter looked at the bottle, verified a price list in a binder and told me it was 36 BDS... He seemed sure of himself, but I too was very surprised, (I'm thinking he may have thought it was the 750ml one and didn't bother double checking) and I asked him if he had more of them. I bought 3, with the stopper, tag, and box! One my wife and I drank on our balcony overlooking the Caribbean Sea over the course of our week stay, and the other 2 we brought back home with us. In Canada the same bottle goes for over 60USD!

By the way does anyone know the name of the Green Rum Shop I am talking about? ( Corner HWY 7 and St.Lawrence).. it has Heineken written all over it. Thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

NorthernCanuck1

Outside of Christmas and Easter, most bakeries only make them to order. That cake is more of a Christmas tradition...but they were widely available for Easter this year.

Regards

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Lupo1985

Wow! What a deal.

I know the shop you speak of by seeing it...not by name sadly. But I'm sure someone else knows.

Regards

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

I saw the black rum cake in late April at Baker's Mart in Eagle Hall, St. Michael. However, they may have been left over from easter.

BB

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

BBDSBEAUTY

They definitely would've been. Those cakes can lie around for a couple weeks without going off because of the rum and mixed fruit content! Yum yum!

Regards

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

Yes they can last for ages... and SO much better than traditional fruit cake. I will be there in Feb. so maybe I will be lucky enough to find some. Not that easy to get in Canada :(

9. Re: Cheapest Price for Mount Gay and Rum Cake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17