We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose where to stay!! :)

njgirl22
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Help me choose where to stay!! :)

Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be going to Barbados at the end of June to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I am looking to book it by tonight. It is between the Bourgainvillea, Coral Sands and Tamarind.

I am concerned with being on the South Side only because of the waves. Are they that crazy? We are looking for a hotel where we can walk to resturants and beach bars at night. During the day we usually are busy exploring and will be renting a car to do so! Would also like some time to relax on a nice beach! If we do stay on the South side, how long of a drive is it to the West side?

Thanks in advance!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

All three are very good hotels but my personal choice would be Coral Sands, it is a fab place. The beach is pretty wide and the sea is usually quite calm. There are enough bars and restaurants all near by and only a matter of yards away is Crystal Waters where they have a BBQ and dancing every Sunday...really good entertainment.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 12:54
West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

I would go with the Tamarind.

Its on a beautiful beach (Paynes Bay) with calm water for swimming and watersports. Within walking distance to a handful of restaurants and a couple of bars. Holetown is only a 5 min drive away where there is a bigger selection of restaurants and bars. The West is in general a quieter area to stay but has great restaurants.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

The beach in front of Coral Sands is lovely and, compared to some of the west coast beaches at the moment, large and wide. The water is usually very calm as that area is protected by an outer reef making Sandy beach one of the better beeches for swimming on the south coast if you like flat water.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

njgirl22

I wouldn't consider the Bougainvillea if you're looking to walk to restaurants/bars at night. So cross that off. My choice would be Coral Sands as there is much more within walking distance and it sits on the amazing Worthing Beach.

The Tamarind would be my second choice.

Driving from Coral Sands to the West Coast would take an average 25 minutes depending on where exactly you are going.

The waves on the South Coast are quite manageable.

Regards

Edited: 09 May 2012, 13:49
Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

"I am concerned with being on the South Side only because of the waves."

You're from NJ. If you've been to the shore there and enjoyed it, you won't have any problems in the south. There's a bit of a tendency around here to describe most anything but a flat calm as 'rough water'.

Another vote for Coral Sands.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

I would say Coal Sands too over Bougainvillea as not much within walking distance and the water can be a bit more choppy here.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

Coral Sands definitely not Coal!

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

The Boug definitely had big waves when I was there, but it was quite enjoyable. (Consider myself an average swimmer)

Coral Sands judging from the photos (never been) seems like a solid choice, like another person mentioned it's protected by an outer reef, all the photos I've seen looked beautiful and calm. Sounds to me like it's probably what you're looking for.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

Stayed at Coral Sands many times and also stayed at Bougainvillea and would recommend either one BUT for what your looking for I would choose Coral Sands. The property is smaller (31 rooms) on four floors. You are within walking distance to restaurants and St Lawrence Gap. Coral Sands is on a great beach (Worthing) and the water is good for swimming. The hotel is very well maintained and the property is private with a small pool. Do request a 4th floor room preferably (403-404-405-406) all have great views. All room are the same ..check the webpage for photos and what you see is exactely what you get...Laurie

njgirl22
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me choose where to stay!! :)

Thank you all!! I booked Coral Sands and couldn't be more excited. Any recommendations now on what to do would be wonderful!!!