We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Mon. April 9

Good flight from Toronto. Try and get a seat on the left side so that when flying into Barbados you will see the island. Met a nice man on the plane who is from the island and his mother is in her 90's. He showed me his place of rental in an area called Atlantic Shores. Enjoyed our conversation. Had a nice meal at Silver Point Hotel Restaurant. Brenda is a great waitress. Ate below and not up top since it did not open until 6:30 p.m. Nicely refurbished with units for sale.

Tue. April 10

Had a nice breakfast at the CoffeeBean near 39 Steps, then went on the Atlantis Submarine. Booked on line before we arrived in Barbados and had no problems. What a beautiful experience. Staff are friendly and efficient on land and off. I would highly recommend this. Saw beautiful schools of fish, stingray and turtle. They have day and night, we went on the day excursion. Nice gift shop, complimentary water and juice and at the end you receive your Dive Certificate in the gift shop so be sure to get it before you leave. No cruise ships in that day so not as busy. Went and did some shopping at Cave Shepherd. I must say, downtown Bridgetown people were friendly and not pushy. They have on the side streets shops.

Wed. April 11

Golfed Rockley in early a.m. Went out for a nice supper at Cafe Luna at Little Arches. Service was slow but the food was well worth the wait. Stunning sunset. Saw a lovely couple celebrating their Wedding. Little Arches is beautiful. Boutique hotel. Great location, across the road is Enterprise/Miami beach is a plus. Called in the a.m. and had no problem with getting a reservation.

Thur. April 12

Golfed Rockley.

Fri. April 13

Spent the day at Miami beach (rented umbrella, 3 loungers $40 B). Food bus had very good roti and Banks of course. Ate supper that night out at McBrides where you can get a real Guinness. Waitress (Aquilla) was very friendly and the food was great. Walked down the gap and the vendors were all very pleasant and friendly.

Sat. April 14

Went out for supper at Brown Sugar in Bridgetown. Well hidden so if you past the texaco, you have driven too far. Excellent Bajan meal and great staff (Margreta).

Sun. April 15

Tour day went around the East coast. Stopped in at The Atlantis Hotel for the Barbadian lunch buffet which was heavenly. They have this on Wed. and Sun. Beautiful location over looking the Atlantic.

Mon. April 16

Tour day, ate breakfast at the Coffee Bean. Shopped downtown Bridgetown and went all up the west coast. Returned to Bert's Bar for Happy Hour. Great staff and the food was good. Daiquiri's are tasty and potent. Had a friend joining us for 1 week. Forgot to mention Earthwork's love it there. Amazing artist on site. Great cafe next door and other gifts shops are a must to visit.

Tue. April 17

Stay day. Went up to Buffy's Bar for some Banks. Good time.

Wed. April 18

Toured the island. Took new guest up to the East coast. Rain day. Went to Atlantis Hotel for buffet. Staff (Manni) are wonderful. Driving up to St. Nicholas Abby (3rd visit and it has some changes since 2 years ago. when we were here last) we were fortunate to see Monkey's on the road, crossing in front of us. The staff is very knowledgeable of the 350 year history and is preserving this well. Great food. Excellent assortment of unique gifts. Rum is tasty too. Entrance for St. Nicholas Abby was $35 B per adult. Returned to Bert's Bar for those refreshing Daiquiri's.

Thur. April 19

Villa day (ocean, pool, and rest).

Fri. April 20

Oisten's Fish Fry, ate at George's. Delicious Dorado and Mahi Mahi, macaroni pie and salad. Great price and servings are huge. I found that in Oistin's the huts set up for selling local art and jewellery, etc... to be more of a bargain than if you were to walk along the Gap or buy anything touristy at any of the Cave's.

Sat. April 21

Toured around, ate at 39 Steps and was a lovely location and meal. If you enjoy wine, this is the place to go. Great staff and service. Beautifully decorated with local artists works hung on display and for sale.

Sun. April 22

Walked along the boardwalk (Rockly/Accra beach area). Swam. Calmer area than surfer's point. Can't beat Bert's for Happy Hour and appetizers. Ate out that night at Surfer's cafe in Oistin's. Great food and wonderful service.

Mon. April 23

Toured up to the Northernest Point. Great lookouts and scenic views. Ate at the Fish Pot (which is similar to Atlantis and found out that they are the same owners). Little Good Harbour is a boutique hotel across the street. It is very pretty.

Tue. April 24

Toured South coast and went to Gerry Bull's Gun, lots of history.

Wed. April 25

Golfed in the a.m. at Rockley. Spent the day at Rockley Beach. Enjoyed the calm waters, great for snorkelling. Walked down the gap and stopped in at Rostivor ? hotel and ate lunch at the Almond Tree. Met an elderly couple from Montreal who have been repeat visitors to Barbados for 30 years. They had a whole bunch of family who stay at this hotel.

Thur. April 26

Another Beach day. Went out for supper at Mama Mia's. Excellent pizza and Banks. Couple seated next to us were from Verona, Italy and they enjoyed it just as much.

Fri. April 27

Toured around Chancery swamp area. Saw another Monkey in which I was too slow for a picture. We took an off road that led us down to Long Beach. Waves were very high that day. Did not venture into the water.

Sat. April 28

Touring. Went up to Brighton's Farmer market. Rainy so not as many vendors as one of the artist was explaining. Great produce among other tasty treats from homemade lasagna, breads, jams, jellies. Beautiful baskets, wood carvings, table clothes, purses, and photographs (cards, prints). All very welcoming and friendly people. Toured around that area and came upon Villa Nova Country House which was closed due to holiday on the island. Saw many plantations and beautiful farms along the way. Claybury Plantation was beautiful. Later went to Bert's bar to watch some golf and hockey (raining). Staff at Bert's are really great. They appear to enjoy their jobs.

Sun. April 29

Rain today.

Mon. April 30

Golfed in a.m. at Barbados golf course and the foursome that allowed my husband and I to play ahead of them, we thank-you!

Tue. May 1

Toured around with our new guest up the west coast and north. Spent the afternoon at Mullin's beach. Had a fantastic lunch and the only place I was able to have a Mojito. Beautiful location.

Then we had an encounter with the Boscobel Bandits. I was so upset because we had read about this for the last 2 years on trip advisor and we've always stayed clear of this area. I had the garmin and I told my husband to take a left instead of going straight after coming down the top of Cherry Tree Hill. Anyway, to make a long story short...this man flagged us down and stood in front of our vehicle. Wanted us to turn right and go down to see Cove Bay. We told him we were there 2 years ago because we did the Segway tour. He started going on about giving us directions and we said no thank-you we had our garmin and we were fine. He just went on and on about how nice the tourist are and if we would give him a purple or red money to feed him and his 2 sons tonight. Anyway, we paid him and he let go of our vehicle. As we were driving around the corner from this location, there are other men on the opposite side of the road and they are all stopping Hired vehicles. I did notice that other Bajan licenced vehicles were not stopped. I do not agree with hired vehicles being identified. This is unsafe and targets you unnecessarily. I do believe that this man was not working alone.

Wed. May 2

Villa day.

Thurs. May 3

Villa day.

Fri. May 4

Early t time at Sandy Lane and it was raining again. Great staff at Sandy Lane Pro shop. David called down to see if we would be allowed to go down and eat breakfast since the clubhouse didn't serve breakfast. We were allowed and had a great Buffet Breakfast. Costly but worth it. We were able to get in 8 holes and had to return to the clubhouse due to lightening. Our caddies Andy and Didi were great. Andy has over 30 yrs. experience and is an absolute gem. Didi has been doing this for 19 yrs. and she has an amazing smile. Quentyne was the manager I believe and he saw to it that we were given a rain check so we could return the next morning to finish off our round. He was wonderful. He realized we were leaving Monday. Returned to Earthworks to pick up some last minute items.

Sat. May 5

We were able to finish our round and had some rain but nothing compared to the day before. Had a wonderful experience.

Sun. May 6

Villa day. Went out and had a great meal at Champers Restaurant.

Mon. May 7

Home Sweet Home :)

This has been my 3 trip to Barbados and 4th for my husband. We really love the island and people. I see why people keep returning.

Hope you enjoyed the review. I want to thank those who post because it really is appreciated to hear from others experiences good or bad.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 14:25
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Marcie719

WOW!!! What a detailed and extensive review. It's unfortunate how one incident, such as that near to Cherry Tree Hill can't taint one's impression of the island. I sincerely hope that doesn't put you off from exploring on your own again in the future. Something really needs to be done about these nuisances. You're correct, they wouldn't dear try to stop a locally registered vehicle.

Nonetheless, I'm heartened to read your fantastic feedback on the island and I hope you return again soon.

Regards

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Hi BGIWorldTrave...

We love Barbados and the people.

I can see us returning again and again.

Just want to say thank you to you because you are a wealth of information.

I wanted to post pictures but I can't remember how to do that.

Marcie719

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Marcie: Many, many thanks for your detailed trip report. Just about everything (well, except for golf) are very high on my list of things to do.

Based on your description of May 1, I think I will hire a local driver to take us to that part of the island. Are there other spots we might get "caught" like this? I'd rather be in the company of a local than have this happen to my family!

The Brighton's Farmer's Market sounds exactly like what I enjoy. Cannot wait until June 22 when we arrive!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Thanks for the very detailed trip report. I'm glad that you enjoyed a great stay in Bim!

BB

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

ddffpp: Do whatever will make you comfortable and enjoy your holiday. We would still rent a car and travel around Barbados. I just would not go near Boscobel area again. Two years ago, we booked the Segway tour and a van picked us up at our villa and drove us up where they have the Seqway tour. It was an amazing experience and very scenic. I told my husband to take a wrong turn. As I mentioned, this was my 3rd to the island and it won't be our last. Wishing you a great time. Hope this helps.

louisiana
Level Contributor
234 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

His is the first I have heard of these bandits? Can you provide some additional info? I will be traveling with a toddler and would like to make sure we can avoid this.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Marcie719

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

sam0256

They are local guys/nuisances who attempt to block roads in the Boscobelle, St. Peter and Cherry Tree Hill St. Peter / Shorey Village St. Andrew areas, when visitors driving hired vehicles come by. They know you because most (not all) rental vehicles have licence plates beginning with "H". They can easily be avoided.

Regards

Ontario
Level Contributor
717 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

Wonderful report. Thank you. :)

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review April 9 - May 7, 2012

A great report, I really enjoyed reading it, thank you.

I agree that it is time the Boscobel gang were stopped, the same thing happened to us a few years ago.