We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West or South - need advice!

Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
West or South - need advice!

I am usually more adept at searching TA but this time could use some DE help. We are planning to go to Barbados in August with kids ages 9 & 11. I have found suitable resorts/hotels in both areas - West and South - but would like to have more details on the locations. Ideally, here is the hit list: hotel on the beach, beach with calm waters but also a reef off the beach that kids could snorkel (or walking distance from the resort/hotel). We like to walk/explore and would like to be able to walk into a town for dinners/shops etc...

So what towns would be best for this? Once I decide on a town or area I will look at the hotels. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West or South - need advice!

I would book south coast within walking distance of Worthing Beach or Rockley/Accra Beach. Worthing beach has the reef you want and is a sheltered beach for swimming etc. There are 2 beach bars/restaurants on site and the closest hotels are Yellowbird in the Gap area or Coral Sands right on Worthing Beach. Also Coral Mist,Blue Orchids farther up Worthing Beach towards the Rockley end and Accra Beach hotel right on Rockley/Accra Beach. In near walking distance to the latter hotels are all kinds of kid friendly rtestaurants such as Bert's Bar, Mojo's, Just Grillin and chefette take out/eatin chicken and burgers. Rockley/Accra Beach is a large beach, lots of chair rentals, food kiosks and Side Shore Bar and Grill, shopping across the road.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West or South - need advice!

Hi

lovely island but so small and your comments re "town" worried me!

Look at Holetown or St lawrence gap

This is a safe caribbean island but nothing like typical American destinations like Aruba. Much, much better!

Suggest south coast

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West or South - need advice!

Kova67

On the South Coast I'd suggest Rockley, Worthing and Needham's Point.

On the West Coast I'd suggest Holetown or Sunset Crest and their environs.

My preference is for the South Coast as it provides better value for money and there is much more to see and do. Much larger beaches and a wider variety of accommodation.

Regards

Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West or South - need advice!

Thanks so much for the comments - very helpful! We are European (Serbian & French) and live in a big US city now... I guess I was disappointed in Curacao when I realized we could not walk to much or walk along the beach. So not looking for a big city or US feel, but wanted to be able to explore with the kids, walk to a store if need be and hit some local restaurants... I appreciate the tips! Now cross your fingers no hurricanes in late August!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West or South - need advice!

I think Accra Beach Hotel could really suit you if it's in budget. At this hotel I would rent a sea view room as the island view face the car park & road.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West or South - need advice!

I would recommend Accra. So much in such a close vicinity, especially if you like walking you'll have a blast. No need for cabs unless you want to venture further out.

That having been said, I stayed there recently. The island view rooms are fine but request to be facing the road and request a balcony if you can get one. Just don't expect a beautiful sea view and a 5 star quality room and you'll be fine. If it's a big deal for you though, book a pool view or higher.

Next time I go there I'll for sure book an ocean view.

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West or South - need advice!

It's all a matter of personal preference. The south coast along 'The Gap' area, is busier, more 'touristy' and cheaper than the west coast. On our first trip to Barbados we were booked into a cheap 'hotel' called Pirates Inn, stayed 1 night and jumped ship to a hotel on the west coast - it is true in our opinion that West is Best! We would never have returned to the island as we have done if we hadn't gone to the west coast. In our opinion the beaches are far superior, the ocean is calmer, you get less hassle from street vendors, the restaurants are superb, try Tides, The Cliff or Fish Pot to name a few.

Getting around the island is a breeze using the buses, which costs just $1.50 BDS to go anywhere on the island! The buses are either blue: being the state run bus, or yellow being the privately run buses, we tend to hop on the yellow ones, much more fun with music blaring out! Don't be put of by the buses, the guys that operate them are the friendliest, they'll quite happily hop off to help someone on with their shopping, now that rarely happens anywhere!

There is reef on the west coast in a number of locations, off Mullins Beach, for one.

Agree with mattjak that whilst the likes of Holetown and Speightstown (pronounds Spikestown) on the West Coast are 'towns' they aren't huge by any standards, although I believe that this is a new mall that has opened recently in Holetown and I'm looking forward to exploring that when we go in November! Holetown does offer more in the way of facilities, whilst Speightstown has more of a 'this is where the locals shop' feel, if that makes sense?!

Please message me if you need any further information, this will be our 5th trip to the island and our wedding, so we have explored it considerably. Hope this is of some help. Whatever you decide, have a fantastic holiday and embrace the bajan way, slow, relaxing and friendly.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West or South - need advice!

curlybun

Just so you know, as of January 1st, 2011, the bus fare has been $2 BBD / $1 USD.

Regards

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West or South - need advice!

Thanks for updating me! It's still a huge bargain and did need to go up as I believe it had been $1.50 BBD for years!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West or South - need advice!

curlybun

Yup it had been, ever since I was a child. I do believe Barbados has one of the cheapest bus fares in the Caribbean. Much cheaper than what is required in the UK for sure... upwards of £2 for simple short journeys.

Regards