We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort for kids Easter 2013

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Resort for kids Easter 2013

Hi!

We last visited Barbados 8 years ago when the boys were 2 years and 6 months old, and are planning a return visit. Then we stayed at the Bougainvillea, and my memory is of a lovely resort with a beautiful beach. We hired a car and saw some gorgeous sites. BUT I remember the cost of eating out seemed eye-wateringly high which is why I'm considering AI next year, perhaps further up the west coast. So, where will be comfortable with two boys who like running in the sea, without being tut-tutted at by non child liking fellow guests? Or, should we be looking at another island?

Thanks for any tips!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,859 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Kayenne

If you're absolutely set on an AI on the West Coast, have a look at:

Crystal Cove

Mango Bay Hotel

Waves Hotel

On the South Coast have a look at: Turtle Beach Resort and Sea Breeze Hotel.

In all honestly, Barbados can be as cheap or as expensive as you'd like it to be. You can eat/drink cheaply, mildly expensive or very expensively. It all depends on where you go. There are cheaper non-AI properties on both coast which would provide you with a great holiday even with paying for food/drinks seperately, but then again, since you have kids, it may just be much easier to go AI.

Best of luck whatever you decide. In any case, Barbados will be another great choice again for you.

Regards

Edited: 18 June 2012, 08:27
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Have you looked at Turtle Beach on the south coast. Very child friendly and very good food.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Turtle Beach is a lovely hotel but the sea is quite often rougher than the Bougainvillea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. A calmer stretch of sea is important so Turtle might not fit the bill. A cheaper AI might be a good solution - then we wouldn't feel so tied to the hotel for mealtimes.

Thanks again.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Discovery Bay may be a cheaper all inclusive option for you on the west coast. It is a fairly basic hotel (3*) but has large grounds for the children to run around and one swimming pool. The rooms are large but very clean and basic. The ones on the beachfront have a fantastic view.

Discovery is situated in Holetown and so you are close to other restaurants, shops etc. and has a nice beach with very calm sea. It is a very relaxed style of hotel.

I would say the other option on the west coast would be Crystal Cove. Further away from Holetown and may be a bit more expensive but also has a lovely beach with two small jetty's which is a great area for small children to swim and snorkel.

Virgin Holidays have both these hotels on their web site.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

It looks as if Virgin Holidays offers Discovery Bay hotel on an AI basis or room only.

They also have Beachfront Club rooms which are ideal for families.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Hi Kayenne, I also stayed at the bouganvillea about 7-8 years ago and found the island to be rather expensive in terms of eating. That having been said, a lot of it had to do with the location of the bouganvillea. While it is a very beautiful hotel with lots to offer, location isn't one of them, nor is budget minded eating, especially when you're cabbing.

I too fell in love with Barbados and decided to go back this year. I went to Accra Beach Hotel which is a hotel very similar in quality to the bouganvillea, both have their pros and cons. One major pro of the Accra is the location, plenty of restaurants ranging in quality and price nearby. Also I found Accra prices for food to be on par with what I would pay at home. (Canada) Just an example of some pricing:

Burger (big) + fries + salad/coleslaw: 15$ usd (all taxes + fees)

Turkey Club + fries + salad/coleslaw: 15$ usd (all taxes + fees)

Then the list goes on and gets more expensive, like if you want a rack of lamb dinner, it's 30$ usd. It's all pretty much standard price for average quality food in Canada, at a restaurant here it might cost 25$+tax, there it's 30$ tax in already. That's just at the hotel though, the best part is you can walk down the road in either direction or directly across the street and find numerous restaurants ranging in quality/price right outside your hotel, all within walking distance.

I was also considering all inclusive but here is what turned me off from it:

-It was approximately 700$ more a person (so around 1400-1500$ more total for 2 people)

-Because of my budget, it would mean staying on the resort the whole time, Barbados is a lovely safe island, AI is pretty much a waste in my opinion

I would recommend against AI personally. Accra is just a much more convenient hotel in general versus bouganvillea, but it has pretty much most of the same things bouganvillea has anyways. Both are beautiful hotels and I'd return to both, but my choice would be Accra.

As for kids, I saw kids in the pool at Accra swimming with their parents and stuff, they have a kids side but kids are allowed in the non-kids side too, but they also have an adult only pool which is smaller and colder. It's the kind of place that can be appealing for all types of traveler. Never saw anyone look down on people for having kids there, it wasn't a kids resort, but it wasn't a resort filled with stuck up people either. Most people seemed to be having way too much fun swimming, having some drinks etc to worry about kids in the pool etc. It's a big pool, a big beach, plenty of space.

Anyways getting to the point, I was under the impression Barbados was an expensive island too. It isn't, it's just like back home. Some areas are more/less convenient than others, some restaurants/stores are cheaper/more expensive than others. Check out some of the restaurant reviews on here and you'll know where to go for good quality and price. After being to Accra I realized Barbados isn't really an expensive island, I ended up paying what I would have to go all inclusive at a place like Almond Causarina but I got a solid location and ended up spending about the same amount but going to restaurants every night, ordering room service, drinking at the bar all the time, etc. Hope this rant will help you :)

EDIT: Oh and about the water. I had heard it was rough at Accra Beach, some days it was pretty calm, other ways it was decently rough, but the fun kind of waves, we aren't talking dangerous. I believe one day there was a red flag and another day a yellow, but nothing serious really. There's also a part of the beach that seems a bit calmer. I definitely remember maxwell beach (bouganvillea) being a bit stronger, but I could be wrong. Went at different times of year so it's hard to compare, especially 8 years apart :)

Edited: 18 June 2012, 17:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Hi!

That is so helpful, and you obviously went through the all the same thought processes we're going through! We've never done AI before anywhere and thought this might be the best solution here, but your reply has definitely given me food for thought...no pun intended!

It would be nice to travel round the island again; we went to a fab hillside restaurant last time called Naniki - so good I would go there again. It's harder to do those things when your AI. I'll check out the place you've recommended - it sounds great.

Well, thanks again for all the info.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Turtle Beach was not too rough when we stayed and your children would love the waves.

We recently stayed at Crystal cove and although small and boutique the children would love the beach and the staff adore children. They can even see monkeys on the beach and believe there is a kids club(we were without children at Crystal cove!)

You are right AI is less hassle with children and perhaps healthier eating!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort for kids Easter 2013

Hello, We have booked to go to Butterfly Beach Hotel this Easter 22nd March for 2 weeks, and have a 10 year old, will the sea be rough there, and is the area okay? Thank you.