We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring a mini moke....any tips?

Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hiring a mini moke....any tips?

We're coming out to Barbados in early May ( cant wait!)

We intend on seeing the island via a Mini-Moke but dont know if its best to reserve one before we fly out or if you get a better deal once there.

I've heard of Stoutes..... can we still use them once we're there?

any tips?

Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

Personally, I would choose a car over a Moke. Much safer. We have rented a Moke in the past but I suggest you take a good look at them or a photo before committing yourselves.

Afraid I don't know whether you can get a better deal once you are there.

I believe Stoutes has a good reputation.

Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

Mokes are fun, but consider that there's no protection from rain. Also, there's little or no space to secure your stuff.

Level Contributor
522 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

One word 'Don't'

Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

Mokes are fun, but if you prefer to be totally inclosed don't rent one. The mokes of old are different then today. While people call them mokes, when they first came here they were known as Cut-offs. Why?? They are basically small Suzuki Swift cars that have had the doors and roof cut off and the roof replaced with a cloth top (and a roll bar).

as said before.. they provide little if any protection from rain, and very little if any secure spaces in the car.

Stoutes is a very good company. been around for years and good reviews. I don't think you are going to find any better deals if you wait to get here.

Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

The Moke reminded me of the Flinstones car - I wouldn't recommend renting one, I would go with a Jeep if you want the topless experience.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

I wouldn't bother with the moke. Nowhere to leave your stuff, uncomfortable, no protection from sun (burnt feet a speciality) or rain (wet bottoms), smells of damp. Roads in Barbados are pretty basic and full of holes and lumps.

Nice air conditioned 4x4 with from Stoutes - £240 ish for 7 days. Joy!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiring a mini moke....any tips?

If you're renting from Stoutes, get a Mira instead of a Moke. We loved ours. Some friends had one from another place, it was very basic. Ours had power windows, power doors, air conditioning and a Pioneer stereo. Much better than a moke but it's basically the same car with doors. Not much difference in price. We should have had it for the week instead of 2 days.