We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please - alternatives to Barbados

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help please - alternatives to Barbados

We had a great holiday in Barbados a year ago, staying for 1 week in an apartment in St James and then 1 week in an all inclusive hotel in Dover.

Although we still have more of the Island to see we'd like to do something similar but on another Caribbean island.

We always felt safe in Barbados and always travelled around in the local minibuses. This along with access to all beaches is a must for our next adventure.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Hi. We have been to Antigua , St Lucia , and The Bahamas .

On Antigua the resorts are mostly all inclusive and tend to be a bit out of the way , so apart from getting a taxi to St Johns for a night out which can be very expensive depending where you stay the only thing to do is sit in the same bar watching the same shows night after night . It was way too isolated for me.

The Bahamas are so Americanised that you may wonder why you bothered and just didn't go to Miami instead.

St Lucia is a beautiful island with a bit of everything , from rain forests to a volcano . We stayed in Rodney Bay , which is like a miniature St Lawrence Gap but with no where else to go. (too quiet).

In my opinion none of these can come anywhere near to what Barbados can offer . We have travelled worldwide and don't tend to go back to the same place twice , but we are returning to Barbados next month for our sixth time . It is a place where we don't feel scared to go out , and safety comes first . There's always something to do and something to see and the people seem to be much friendlier than most places we have been to .

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

I agree with that - St Lucia is lovely but it's not quite as easy to get around as Barbados. Why not consider a week in Barbados and then one in St Lucia? Or take a trip to St Vincent & The Grenadines?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,515 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Surrey_Sun_Seekers

I too agree with Almatt's suggestion. A week in St. Lucia and a week in Barbados would be ideal since you haven't done all there is to do in Barbados as yet.

Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Have you done any research on other forums, looking at their FAQ's or posting your question on them?

That might be a way to get "local" and regular traveler information that would be quite helpful.

All islands have their own particular culture, places to eat, stay, things to do and way of doing things.

england
Level Contributor
216 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Hi Surrey

Have you looked further afield towards Aruba..it does not have the feel of the Eastern Caribbean but should be visited at least once...in other words, no decent rum punches and wonderful West Indian food but great beaches and unbeatable weather

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Almatt . You're absolutely spot on about St Lucia not being as easy to get around . It's only 27 miles long , but might take 2 hours to get from north to south . The road infrastructure is a nightmare. Adding to that , it is also a quite poor island , and Castries after dark wouldn't be for the faint hearted . it's a beggars paradise . IMO.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Bermuda would be perfect, but you would be best to travel later in the spring. It wouldn't be as hot as Barbados in the winter. But you would knock a few hours off of your flight.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Possibly consider Grenada, smaller and not quite as set for tourism as Barbados but still a lovely place to stay. Over the years we have managed to visit 11 different islands and always seem to come back to Barbados or Cuba as they both suit our needs perfectly...next trip is Barbados in February for 2 weeks

Edited: 09 September 2012, 16:14
Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

I agree the only other island I have the same feel about is Grenada it's quieter than Barbados but is friendly and has wonderful beaches and interesting inland trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please - alternatives to Barbados

Thankyou all for the responses to date.

I will start looking at some of these islands on their own forums but in case you can help me further, what we liked about Barbados was:

1. The safety aspect when travelling around;

2. The ease with which you can travel around - I dont want to hire a car - I just want to hop on & off local minibuses that travel the main routes (ideally coastal routes). I accept that to get some inland tourism spots organised tours maybe the only way. We stayed in Fitts Village last time which gave us easy access to the west coast but we could also get to the south coast and back easily.

3. Nice beaches - Ideally with a small town/village behind them (for lunch/drinks, etc) although the odd isolated beach wouldn't go a miss.

If these criteria come close to being met in Aruba, Bermuda, St Lucia, Grenada, etc please post again!

We've been to Jamaica and its not a great start to your holiday when you are told dont go here after dark, dont go here at all, etc!