We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bajan complaints?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bajan complaints?

Why is Bajan complaints a closed topic and about 1/3 of the posts censored?

I had posted my comments at 8:39 following their guidelines and it was removed and then the entire thread closed....

Kind of heavy-handed in my view.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bajan complaints?

Some of the posts that I saw before they were deleted were not travel related and were off topic.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bajan complaints?

I agree with MrsBB about the off topic and rather inappropriate comments made that have resulted in many posts being removed.

There are other posts that are quite interesting and related to tourism that don't get closed.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bajan complaints?

So my point was never discussed ?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bajan complaints?

and your point westiegirl was what?? lol

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bajan complaints?

You better watch it Westiegirl, they deleted yours as they did mine. All I expressed was how it seems like the negative posts are removed leaving only the good things creating a false impression of the travel site. I also said how I thought most of us had the ability to weed out the false/troll posts.

I too would be interested in hearing your point of view. since you live in Barbados 1/2 the year.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bajan complaints?

I read yours WG3 - for the life of me, I have no idea why it was deleted.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bajan complaints?

Mrs BB -----------That every country has complaints about tourists and Barbados is no exception.

I already outlined a very big complaint that I hear and see on the beach daily in an earlier post.( which was not deleted ) Bajans are in general, a very laid back patient and polite people, and I admire how far their patience can be stretched when their livelyhood is often literally in the balance especially with the economic situation as it is today. Tourists surely know how much some Bajan businesses rely upon them , and yet some of them unfortunately still treat these businesses with contempt.

I know this will upset people, but it's fact I'm afraid.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bajan complaints?

Those same tourists who treat the vendors in Barbados with contempt probably do the same thing at 'home' for the most part. There are too many travellers in the world who assume that because THEY can afford to travel outside their domain they somehow rank higher on the social scale than a 'local'. They also have the mistaken idea that they will be perceived as wealthy/rich/privileged if they act like boorish, rude,bullies.

As long as a thread encourages thoughtful, constructive criticism and responses then it should be allowed to stay and die a natural death so to speak. Unfortunately sometimes it happens that a thread gets hi-jacked by bullies,boors and idiots that spoil it for the people who post with intelligence and thoughfulness and a real knowledge of what makes the world go round.

I don't know about other boards but this board has a core group of posters who have a genuine love for Barbados warts and all and we have no wish to sweep things under the rug. Time and again you see posters being told to come to Barbados but to keep your wits about you and act responsibly as you would do at home and you will be fine.

As to why posts are removed or allowed to continue...consider this ...if the board was truly a 'dictatorship' then why are we the readers allowed the privilege of pressing the "report inappropriate content" button? Conceivably, if a post is removed it is more than likely that someone has asked for it to be removed. Do the 'editors' (or a person),read every post and assess the ones that receive a complaint or is the board just programmed to reject any post that gets a complaint? If your post gets removed repost it and see what happens.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,408 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bajan complaints?

Iagree with you in the main Mrs BB, but you have missed my main point, and that is the number of tourists who book trips on various types of boats and jetskis for a certain time. and then just don't turn up.

I have seen owners of Catamarans, Glass Bottom Boats, Speed Boats and jetskis sit waiting, for an hour and more, for bookings that have been made earlier in what they take as good faith. Turning away passing trade, and making excuses for the non shows saying that they may be having lunch,----------- are on holiday and lose track of time etc etc, and because of this misplaced "faith" in visitors earn NOTHING.!

Is it so hard for people who change their mind to tell the owners concerned ?

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bajan complaints?

I know when we book with Cool Runnings they require credit card details as a security. If I were a business I would do that, I know it is harder for jet ski's but generally they seem to pick up business then and there. I have had to cancel a few times on trips in the past and they have been fine with it and not charged me. I wouldn't miss an appointment at home though for something without calling if I can't make it, I think the same should apply to dinner reservations. Really just a case of good manners!