We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados Treasures

Harriston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados Treasures

We were at Agrifest last year and found some great treasures to bring home.

In Barbados Advocate today headlines read;

"Unleash Creativity" and the article is very interesting.

What are the greatest Bajan treasures to purchase to take home discounting Bajan Art which is very good.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados Treasures

The greatest Bajan treasures to purchase depends on the value "you" put on something.

What might be of value to you might not be something of value to someone else.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados Treasures

To me it's a "sea dollar " a little round white coin with distinctive holes in it found very occasionally on the beach. ------------------It's actually a skeleton of a coral or something . It's taken me 20 years to find 5 and that was with help lol.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados Treasures

Sorry I mean Sand dollars .

southampton england
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados Treasures

If you wash them out and let them dry ,then open them up you will find four doves of peace insde

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados Treasures

Oh Rockley, you know them! Mine are like that when I've found them and have those markings They are just beautiful and a little piece of magic lent to us by nature.

Barbados
Level Contributor
395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados Treasures

Hi Westiegal. Have you ever read the story of the sand dollar? It describes all the parts of the sand dollar. If not I will try and find it for you (I was given it many years ago, so don't hold your breath!) and will PM it to you if that's OK.

I have a small one in almost perfect condition that I picked up on Carlisle beach early one morning and have kept it all these years. As you say pure magic!!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados Treasures

That would be lovely Karen, thank you . I have had some lovely pm's, one with a link to how they break into "Doves of Peace " if they are big enough. They are just extraordinary. I've also been told of many being found on Carlisle Bay.-------------Perhaps I should take a trip down there and do a bit of beach combing. Google says they are found mainly where the water is more rough. Perhaps that's why they are less common on our coast.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 10:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados Treasures

Rasta sandals from the street vendors. They are really durable. But, you have to bargain with them. Baked treats from a little Bakery in the urban center of St. Michael called Baker's Mart. I always visit there the day before my trip home. Yum!

9. Re: Barbados Treasures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 10:16