We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide.... help please!

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Can't decide.... help please!

Hello

3 questions I need help with please.....

We are considering Barbados for a two week holiday next May taking our 14 year old daughter and having read loads on here and other websites I am struggling to decide.......

For us, this will be a 'luxury' holiday. We tend to either do 5 star luxury or 2 star basic self-catering and avoid anything in between. We have never been all-inclusive as we love food, hate buffets and are not big drinkers! I think I have decided on one week at the Sandpiper and just need to decide on where to stay for the other week..... help!!! (We cannot run to two weeks here)

I am considering Ocean Two, however we tend to steer clear of anywhere touristy and busy as it is just not our thing and so I am not sure whether this would suit us? I also like the look of St Peter's Bay.

So, what do you think? Any other suggestions are very welcome please.

Also, what are the average costs for eating out? We like to have a nice meal in the evenings and I am wondering how much we should allow. For instance, are the prices for a good restaurant equal to, higher than or lower than the UK? I really need some guidance on this, as we are in effect 3 adults.

Finally, which tour operators are we likely to get good prices with?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

It isn't very 'touristy' at Oceans two, you are at the quieter end of the Gap.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

Thanks for your help. Can you please help me to understand what the quieter end feels like compared to the 'noisy' end? Where do the two join together? Hope this makes sense?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

iamangel

The noiser end of the Gap runs from Cafe Sol down to Jobu's Sports Bar I'd say. Hotels along that stretch would include Yellow Bird, Rostrevor and South Gap. Ocean's Two is on the quieter side which is good for you. You can have a great holiday at Ocean Two.

In terms of Tour Operators, check with both BA Holidays and Virgin Holidays. They both offer competitively priced holidays to Barbados.

In terms of the cost of eating out, have a look here.

In most bars you can purchase a beer for anywhere between $3-$7 depending on the location.

Sodas / Juice = $2.50 to $4

Rum + Coke $8

Tea/Coffee $6 and up

Most cocktails $12-$20 depending on the location.

Glass of Wine = $12 to $24 depending on the location

Glass of Champagne = $30-$35

Bottle of wine = $60+

Bottle of Champagne = $120+

Food ---

Starters $18-$38 depending on restaurant

Mains $45 to $95 generally, depending upon restaurant and what you order. Items such as platters for two can run up to $140

Desserts $15 to $25 depending upon restaurant and what you order

Fast Food

$15 can get you two pieces of chicken, fries, biscuit and a drink from Chefette or KFC.

$12.99 can get you a value meal from KFC (sandwich and fries or chicken strips and fries or three wings and fries etc)

$33 can get you a whole pizza

Rotis range from $6.75 to $10.25

Casual Dining

Flying Fish Sandwich with Fries = $21

Burgers = $26-$32

Ribs Platter = $40

Chicken Platter = $32.95

All Prices BBD, divide by 2 for the US, divide by 3 for £

Hope this all helps.

Regards

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

I'd say the 'good' restaurants are more expensive than the UK, but you can get excellent meals at cheaper places like Just Grillin and Shakers (£30 for two incl drinks)

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

The quieter end of the gap is the end which doesn't have all the bars and restaurants in a row. Oceans Two is down near that end. It's a very nice resort. I was impressed when I saw it a little while ago.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

Bougainvillea beach resort is great - always very quiet, nice little beach and far enough away from the "Gap" to avoid noise and hustle and bustle but only a taxi ride away if you want to join the fun!

Barbados is an amazing place and you'll enjoy wherever you stay

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

Forget St Peter's Bay . It may well be beautiful inside but I have yet to see more than 2 people on the beach and that is rare. Your 14 year old would be bored silly.

If you love the Sandpiper you could move just down the beach and stay at Palm Beach Condos . Scroll down the link below and have a look.

http://www.relaxingretreats.co.uk/accom.htm

Palm Beach is steps away from all the Bars and Restaurants of Holetown but right on the beach with it's own pool. A peaceful place for you to stay, but with the opportunity for your daughter to make friends with guests at the Hotel next door.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 10:22
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

ps I stayed at Sandpiper twice a year for several years until I found Palm Beach.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't decide.... help please!

iamangel

You're welcome

Regards