We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Dear Forum Users

We are staying on west coast ( Paynes Bay ) soon and wonder how to use the buses to get to the start of The Richard Haynes Boardwalk ( I assume the western start is near Coconut Court Hotel from a recent post ?) . Could we bus directly there or via Bridgetown. And where should we ask the bus driver to let us off ? Or would it be relatively cheap/quicker to use a taxi ? Also when walking the board walk are there any good beaches to snorkel at ?

Many thanks for any advice.

Beachansea

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Beachandsea you can walk from Accra Beach to the Hilton, although the board walk doesn't carry on all the way to the Hilton you can walk the beach for that part, so you could drop off at either of those two points. I don't think a taxi from Paynes Bay to the Hilton would cost a lot, it isn't a great distance. I can't help with the buses or snorkelling as we just did the walk and we drove ourselves. I can recommend having lunch at Tapas en route though, very nice!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

You will be able to get a direct Bus from Paynes Bay without changing in Bridgetown. They run once per hour on Sundays and more frequently Monday to Saturday,say every 20 to 30 mins depending on the time of day. Much cheaper than a taxi! That is the Transport Board buses, not the ZR minibuses. On the way back make sure you are on a bus headed to Holetown or Speightstown rather than Bridgetown.

On your way to the Boardwalk ask the driver to put you off at Hastings Bandstand then walk south on the boardwalk to Rockley or at Rockley then walk it the other way. The best snorkelling in the area in my view is at Carlisle Bay and that is north of the entire boardwalk. Maybe get the bus to Rockley, walk up the length of the boardwalk, carry on on the beach past Coconut Court and Amaryllis etc until you reach The Hilton where you will have to leave the beach and walk along the road until you reach Carlisle Bay for the snorkelling.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 20:27
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Beachandsea

Just to clarify something that was said. The bus you need from Payne's Bay would be the Oistins/Airport/Kirton's/Sam Lords Castle/Silver Sands. One of these will come every 30 minutes each day of the week including Sunday from 5am on mornings, except for after 9pm at night, when they operate once an hour. To return, you can take either a Speighstown or Holetown bus.

I too would suggest alighting at the Hastings Esplanade, just past Blakey's on the Boardwalk and you can join the Richard Haynes Boardwalk there. The fare is only $2 BBD each way per person. No need to take a taxi.

Along the boardwalk itself, you can snorkel at Hastings Beach, however, at the end of the boardwalk is Rockley Beach which is better. The best of all as Almatt has pointed out is Carlisle Bay.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

BGI, please could you confirm the bus times for us all on this route? We were told by Coconut Court reception and by staff at Ramshackle that they leave the bus stations at Oistins and Speightstown "on the hour" - that was on Sunday and the buses did turn up accordingly both ways. Do they leave at 30 mins past the hour too from those bus stations as well? Would be good to know - thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Almatt

That's really odd they would say that. From the time I was a kid, two decades ago, the Speighstown/Oistins buses ran every 30 mins during the day and still do up to today.

I'll put a comprehensive list together for the benefit of everyone.

Regards

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Great Thank you.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Almatt

See the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page and do let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Dear Uktripfan,Almatt and BGI World Traveller :

Thank you so much for your quick response with such detail. I will be printing it out to take with me.

Much obliged to the three of you !

Kind regards

Beachandsea

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

BGI, that is exactly what is needed - thank you.

It will be good to be able to signpost people to that post as the question is asked quite a lot.

PS Have you fixed the Mullins Beach webcam yet!??

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to South Coast Board Walk from West Coast

Almatt

I haven't had the chance to call and enquire about it as yet. Will try to get that done today.

Regards