We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who gets the money?

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Who gets the money?

Just wondering who gets a share and how much of the mandatory 10% service charges on hotel accommodations and restaurant meals.?

Will hotels and restaurants keep some of the service charges?

Barbados
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Who gets the money?

smokey66

It's a coincidence that you are asking the same question that I was going to put up.

I just returned from a Chinese Restaurant on Worthing, Christ Church and was shocked to see the same 10% Service Charge. I enquired from the owner, (the Chinese Guy) as to who gets this. His response, we all who work here.

Strange enough, when questioned, the ladies who served us told us that they do not get it and that the "boss" keeps this money.

So I gave each of them a tip discretely because I felt terrible.

That's the last time I am going to that restaurant.

Yes, the economy is down and so are the tourists, but I am really ashamed and embarrassed that the BTA, the police, the Labour Unions and any relevant authorities are allowing this to happen.

Perhaps, they get free Chinese takeaways.

a2z

manchester england
Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who gets the money?

That is terrible and i would hope this isnt the normal. I know of one top restaurant that the tips are all pooled and they shared out to every member of staff. As this is the only way that brings their low wages to any normality. Even so that s why on quiet times they do suffer as no customers no service charge etc.

if i knew this before i paid the bill i wouldnt have paid the service charge as i am sure this is paid at your discretion. And then tipped the girls as you did.

Jackie

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who gets the money?

My friends who work in a Hotel I know have had nothing for over a year !

Having said that, this happens in the UK also. If I wish to tip a certain person for good service I do so direct to that person, even if there is a service charge.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who gets the money?

Same here Westiegal - it's a wide spread problem in the UK and you can never be sure who ends up with the tip unless you give it personally.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who gets the money?

It's definitely not that way in every restaurant here and I'd guess the vast majority of places that add a service charge do in fact give it to the servers. I know lots of restaurant owners and they all pay their staff what's owed to them. It seems that, in most cases, the service charge gets pooled amongst the shift and any tips left above the service charge are kept by the actual server.

I've had the exact same Chinese restaurant experience though- wait staff say they get no tips, but I've never been to one where a service charge is added to my bill. I usually hide the tip under a napkin so the server spots it but the owners dont. Sad but true.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who gets the money?

Having always paid the service charge in Barbados I now wonder what experience people have had when refusing to add it to the bill. I would prefer that service was NEVER added to the bill and that service meant tip for good service.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who gets the money?

I thought tipping was in response to very low wages for the wait staff. I always understood that the wait staff were paid less than kitchen staff, host/hostess, management etc. and that is why a tip was left for GOOD service, of course it is also a 'bribe'. I didn't know it was meant as a subsidy for the payroll of the restaurant or hotel. Why would an establishment automatically add 10% to the bill and call it a 'service charge'? Would it not make more sense to increase the prices by 10% instead and NOT charge the service fee? It's the same cost to the customer. That way the customer would probably leave a tip, the owners would get the extra 10% and the the idea of automatically charging for service whether good or bad would not make the customer feel like he is being taken. If that 10% increases prices the establishment out of business then management is not doing their job. It may also improve customer service! Just a thought.

I am anxious to hear whether we can legally refuse to pay the service charge. If not then maybe we should boycott those businesses that exercise this practice... then they will get the message.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,964 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who gets the money?

smokey66

I worked in a restaurant for five years and I know for a fact that staff never gets paid the full compliment of service charge. A portion is taken out to pay for replacement items such as glasses, plates, napkins etc.

So yes, hotels/restaurants keep some of it, but many do pay a portion to staff. I personally prefer to give a particular server a cash tip discreetly. That's the easiest way.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who gets the money?

BGI, when you tip a particular server do you also pay the service charge?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,964 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who gets the money?

NorthernCanuck1

It depends where I go. Some restaurants don't have service charge and simply suggest leaving gratuity at your discretion, some restaurants only charge service charge if there are 6 or more persons in the party for example. More often than not, I would tip a particular server in addition to paying the service charge.

Regards