We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

UK
Level Contributor
502 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

Anyone know what the chances of flying on a refurbished BA plane Gatwick to Barbados end of next month ?

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

Perhaps you are thinking of refurbed Virgin planes ?

UK
Level Contributor
502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

I'm not sure, I thought BA were updating their fleet also.

south east
Level Contributor
939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

We came out on a refurbished plane last August and last week. I am not sure how much refurb has been done - the first class area was completely refburbished when we came in August. However, this time we came world traveller plus. I didn't notice any difference in that cabin other than the new video system - also the food was better - 2 choices from the Club menu.

UK
Level Contributor
502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

Wish I could afford first class :( world traveller plus for us. I normally book Virgin PE and have never been disappointed, like the preflight drink and the purple seats. Just thought I would give BA a try this year but actually beginning to wish I had gone with Virgin.

south east
Level Contributor
939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

First Class was brilliant - but if we had had to pay full price (£6,000 per ticket) there is no way we would have gone! We were lucky enough to get the tickets with air miles! We have done Virgin premium in the past. I did like it when it was 'upstairs', but find downstairs a little impersonal. The BA WTP is much smaller which I prefer. Shame they don't add that little 'touch' and give you a glass of fizz when you get on. However, when they came round with drinks, I requested sparkling wine which they gave me. I'm sure, like me, you will feel very comfortable and your journey will soon go! Enjoy your trip!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

kitchenlady

You will not get a refurbished plane on the LGW-BGI route. The Boeing 777-200ERs which operated in the past to Barbados which have all been refurbished were all transferred to LHR during the summer. Subsequently, BA transferred three "newer" 777-200ERs from LHR to LGW. These three 4-class 777-200ERs have the New First Class cabin, but the other three cabins remain the same.

However, the World Traveller Plus product has been greatly enhanced and now includes meal options from Club World, better amenity kits, noise cancelling headphones, better blankets/pillows etc.

I have travelled on these "newer" 777s and they are in pristine condition. All have AVOD to every seat, and the seats are newer, albeit, not the newest available. I have no complaints whatsoever about the current aircraft based at Gatwick. The WTP product is superb.

As BA is a much larger airline than Virgin is, their upgrades will take longer. BA has 55 747s and 42 777s in total. Virgin alone only has 13 747s of which they are refurbishing just 7. So BA has much more work to do than Virgin does by miles. The other thing is, BA's focus has always been on improving the travel experience from LHR ahead of that from LGW, hence why LHR always gets the best available aircraft. Routes such as to New York, Dubai, Los Angeles and Chicago will always take precedence over Barbados (as profitable as it is)

Hope this helps

Regards

Edited: 24 October 2012, 01:56
7. Re: BA refurbished plane or not !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:17