We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash for car hire

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cash for car hire

Hi all,

I'm noticing some rental places do not accept Amex.

Do many of them accept cash for payment and just take your card info for incidentals, etc?

Thanks,

24 hours until we depart and we are possibly changing our mind on a car rental for 3 to 5 days.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash for car hire

You should contact the ones you might deal with and ask them directly.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cash for car hire

Amex isn't well accepted at all in Barbados, you would be better with Visa or Mastercard. You can pay in cash, we have before. I agree with Canby, best to check with whoever you are hiring from too as they may have differing policies.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 08:54
Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash for car hire

Problem with cash is your credit card car rental insurance rider (if available) won't cover you if needed. I've used it many times and have saved a bundle over the 'excess ' charged by the rental companies. I've never needed to make a claim but my CC company's policy is quite clear on what they cover.

4. Re: cash for car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 10:15