We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean Airlines Flight

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Caribbean Airlines Flight

Just wondered if anyone had braved to take the caribbean airlines flight from London Gatwick to Barbados flight (connecting in Trinidad Port of Spain)? Any problems in connecting? Did you have to get your luggage and check back in? Were the flights on time? I have tried searching the forums and it appears no-one has cared to share the experience!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

MavisUK

The reason you haven't found any info on the forums is because very few people fly LGW-POS-BGI with BW. As we are currently getting 7 flights a week with VS and 10 a week with BA all from LGW, its virtually pointless going via POS unless there was some huge saving to be made...which is unlikely even though BW gets a fuel subsidy from the Trinidadian Government.

Regards

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

Yes, I am fully aware of the timetables from London Gatwick. I have personally made a saving of £600 booking caribbean airlines and I am sure there are many people who have done exactly the same at a time when flight prices are so expensive.

New York
Level Contributor
551 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

I can only respond to the portion from Trididad to Barbados. Friends of ours came from NY last February to stay with us. It was Presidents' week in the US, so the fares were extremely high that week. They took Caribbean Air from NY to Trinidad to Barbados. The plane from NY arrived on time, but the flight to Barbados was extremely delayed. They were told that the pilot was delayed getting to the airport because there was a parade. I was waiting for them at BGI and there was absolutely no accurate information about their flight. Several of the bellmen I asked said that the flight from Trinidad is always late. I waited about three hours and then they just appeared.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

MavisUK

Well done to you, that is a huge saving. You'll find that many people will avoid the hassle of the 8.5 hour flight to Trinidad, the waiting time, then another 45 mins to BGI.

Regards

Glos.
Level Contributor
269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

Oh dear that doesn't sound too good. Some friends have booked that flight in january because they wanted an open jaw ticket going to tobago for a week after barbados and returning to gatwick from there. And caribbean airways was the only resonably priced way of doing it. They are due to land in barbados at 8.30 pm. What time is realistic to expect them then?

Any info would be useful.

Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

We went to Barbados last week with Caribbean Airlines from POS to BGI and back. The flights were on time on both legs, also since you will be a visitor to POS and BGI the immigration lines are really short. As the flight had mostly locals (Caricom nationals). Depending on your time of arrival you may not have to clear immigration and customs in POS, you may go thru the in transit line to BGI.

There are about 7- 8 Caribbean airline flights from POS to BGI so if you miss one they may put you on the next.

Have fun we loved Barbados.

Glos.
Level Contributor
269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

Thanks Trinigirl, that's all very positive.

Maeve

bimjimmy
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

You ought to know there is official public acknowledgement that the new Piarco Airport (in Trinidad) was inadequately designed, and that there are news articles that intransit passengers are badly treated - in addition they must all go through Security again to take their onwards flight.

Here is an archived article (and a snippet) from the Airport Authority Chairman himself...

www.craneforum.org/viewtopic.php…

“It (the airport) was designed as a national airport in the United States; it doesn’t have a lot of facilities, unfortunately. I would consider it to be an airport that is inadequately designed for an international airport..."

That same web site will also tell you all you need to know about Caribbean Airlines as well as all of the airlines operating within and into the Caribbean Basin.

http://www.craneforum.org/index.php

My advice is that if you are just travelling to Trinidad, Caribbean Airlines will be as reliable as any other carrier. But if you are going to Barbados and want to weight all your options and costs, see a travel agent and specify a direct flight.

BTW, Caribbean Airlines was supposed to be offering direct flights to/from Barbados and the UK at some point in time. I am unsure whether that service has actually started.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

bimjimmy

BW for now has decided to rest plans to start the BGI-LGW route as there is already fierce competition on the route from BA and VS.

Regards

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean Airlines Flight

Thanks for your feedback Trinigerl.

When I had booked my flight they did say that I would be directed to an in transit line and I would not have to collect my luggage and check in again. I do have a 2 hour wait for my next flight (landing at approx 17.30 taking off at 19.30 to BGI), was this the same timings of your flight? If so, did you just pass through the intransit queue without needing to collect your luggage to check back in?