We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

The federal government says new rules requiring airlines to display the all-in price of airfares are now in effect.

Transport Minister Denis Lebel says starting today all ticket prices must include all taxes, fees and other charges.

Lebel says the changes ensure that consumers can clearly see the total price of an airline ticket, with no hidden fees.

The amendments apply to the price of air services advertised in any media to the public for travel within or originating in Canada.

Offenders can be fined up to $25,000.

However, airlines do not need to include fees for optional services or amenities, which can included baggage, either checked or unchecked, along with things like in-flight entertainment, meals and beverages.

TRAVEL FEESThe cost of crossing the Canada-U.S. border

In a release, Canada's major airlines said they welcome the new rules.

The National Airlines Council of Canada says the rules "provide clarity, maximize transparency and ultimately help the consumer make informed decisions."

cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/12/18/pol-cp…

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

I had no problem with the old way because as you choose what flight you wanted the taxes and fees appeared and the total was then displayed. What's the difference? I think it's much to do about nothing. IMO what is really important is what the airline charges for the ticket and what the gov't and it's agencies charge for THEIR services. As long as all those fees are clearly displayed BEFORE purchase that is fair to the consumer.

Air Canada has once again displayed it's French bias by naming it's new budget airline 'Rouge', a French only name. As far as I remember the company has taken public money from the government for bail outs. What happened to the 'bilingualism' that Trudeau legislated? Could it be that Air Canada is based in Montreal????

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

canby,i just checked westjet..they havent started yet.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

Don't really see the need for it online...but newspapers and that sort yes, Westjet just select your flights then click next it tells you

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

Porter is the same. They have had 'one' price for a few months now then stopped and went back to the old way about 3 weeks ago. Their site hasn't changed back to one price yet but when you mouse over the flight price it shows you the added taxes and surcharges as it always has. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I wonder how the American airlines will take to this new law in Canada.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

Actually Air Canada is the same except they don't break down the taxes and surcharges like Porter does.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

I have no issue with the taxes being listed separately, but do object to the surcharges being mixed in with them.

The income from the surcharges go straight to the airline, but when they are hidden in with taxes, they are trying to disguise it as a Government tax, and draw attention away from the airlines actual flight cost.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

Yes I see what you mean Danarcher. Air Canada lumps taxes, fees, charges and surcharges together and don't explain what they are. Porter and WestJet do however.

8. Re: New All-in Airline Ticket Pricing for Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 05:16