We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Currency

I am travelling to Barbados in the next couple of weeks and am unsure what currency to buy. Can anyone advise me the best currency to get, and if it would be better to use some sort of pre-pay travel card or travellors cheques etc? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Where are you travelling from?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

If you put your query in the search box you'll find your answer it is a FAQ, almost daily in this site.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I am travelling from the UK.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Have you seen the replies on the other 'Very Quick Currency Question' post?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Willenhall12345

When coming to Barbados take USD and GBP from the UK. Don't purchase BBD in the UK as you can receive a much better rate in Barbados. If you purchase BBD in the UK the rate won't be nearly as generous and is currently around £1 to $2.95. In Barbados, you'll get about $3.18 currently for £1. If you take UK Traveller's Cheques, you'll get an even better rate. Currently it's $3.23 to £1. You can do the exchange at any of the several commercial banks on the island including CIBC First Caribbean International Bank, Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd, First Citizen's Bank (Barbados) Ltd, Scotiabank or the RBC Royal Bank. They all have the same rates as set out by the Central Bank of Barbados.

I would recommend you get your USD from M&S Travel Money which is commission free with very competitive rates. Currently you get about $1.56 USD for £1. USD can be spent on the street in Barbados at $2 for $1 USD. However, in some stores/restaurants, you will receive anything between $1.95 and $1.98. Anywhere around $150 to $200 USD in small bills ($5s, $10s and $20s) should suffice to get you started and for tipping. Whatever USD you don't spend, you can either hold on to it for a future trip as it's a globally accepted currency, or you can sell it back to M&S.

Also take your credit/debit cards.

Hope this helps

6. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:15