We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive vs Self Catering

Llwyngwril, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive vs Self Catering

I've always gone AI when travelling to the Caribbean, I'm toying with the idea of going SC this time mainly because I'm fed-up with the poor standard of alcoholic drinks...I would rather one or two decent G&T's or glasses of wine than a gallon of rough booze sweetened with syrup. Will I regret not choosing the convenience and set costs of the AI option or will I be pleasantly surprised by the SC option?

We are a couple in mid 50's, don't mind doing a bit of shopping and sorting out our own b'fast and some lunches and would like accommodation on beach front - most of our time will be spent relaxing - we don't need big night life, just a nice meal and a few bars to choose from.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

Lorraine707

You will be pleasantly surprised by the SC option. Have a look at these prices I've compiled.

In most bars you can purchase a beer for anywhere between $3-$7 depending on the location.

Sodas / Juice = $2.50 to $4

Rum + Coke $8

Tea/Coffee $6 and up

Most cocktails $12-$20 depending on the location.

Glass of Wine = $12 to $24 depending on the location

Glass of Champagne = $30-$35

Bottle of wine = $60+

Bottle of Champagne = $120+

Food ---

Starters $18-$38 depending on restaurant

Mains $45 to $95 generally, depending upon restaurant and what you order. Items such as platters for two can run up to $140

Desserts $15 to $25 depending upon restaurant and what you order

Fast Food

$15 can get you two pieces of chicken, fries, biscuit and a drink from Chefette or KFC.

$12.99 can get you a value meal from KFC (sandwich and fries or chicken strips and fries or three wings and fries etc)

$33 can get you a whole pizza

Rotis range from $6.75 to $10.25

Casual Dining

Flying Fish Sandwich with Fries = $21

Burgers = $26-$32

Ribs Platter = $40

Chicken Platter = $32.95

Groceries

Loaf of Bread = $4.35

Block of Cheddar (250g) = $6.89

Dozen Eggs = $8.29

1 Litre of 2% Milk = $5.89

1 Litre of Juice = $5.29

Sliced Ham = $5.25

Bacon = $8

Bananas = About $0.70 each

Oranges = Jamaican about $0.75 each, Florida/California about $1.20 each

English / Granny Smith Apples = About $1.20 each

Strawberries = $18 a crate

All Prices BBD, divide by 2 for the US, divide by 3 for £

On the South Coast, have a look at either:

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

Southern Palms Beach Club & Resort Hotel

Rostrevor

Ocean Two Resort & Residences

Butterfly Beach Hotel

Coral Mist Beach Hotel

Coral Sands Beach Resort

Coconut Court

On the West Coast, have a look at either:

The Tamarind

The Sandpiper

Colony Club

The Fairmont Royal Pavillion

Sunswept

Hope this helps

Regards

Llwyngwril, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, it's really useful info, are you from the Island? We are keen to stay at Coral Mist as the reviews for its location are really good and it also offers the security of a hotel complex. Thank you again, Lorraine

Edited: 08 January 2013, 23:43
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

Lorraine707

You're most welcome.

Yes, I'm from the island and live here. Coral Mist is superb and I absolutely love the location as well. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Regards

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

Although I am younger than you, I have gone down for the same reasons. A relaxing vacation. I went with my girlfriends 3 years ago, did the SC option, and loved it. I am going back in February of this year and doing the same thing. The prices are reasonable, and as you said, if you are not looking for a gallon of rum every night, then an all inclusive may not be your best bet.

At the price of an all inclusive, you can wine and dine in Barbados just fine. And, I don't know if you two are doing any 'exploring' during your holidays, but I find that if you are at an all inclusive, you are more likely to spend the week at the hotel, not venturing off very much. There are great sites to see in Barbados, it would be a shame to miss them being stuck to one hotel.

I had rented a house near Dover beach. It was an excellent choice. Highly recommended.

Enjoy!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

We are young 60yr olds! We always go to Coral Mist and love it. For us it has everything we need and feels like home. It is on a lovely beach and within easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars. I think you will find that self catering is by far the better option in Barbados.

6. Re: All inclusive vs Self Catering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:17