We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican Village

Suffolk
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pelican Village

We have always visited here when we have been to Barbados, but every time it was almost empty I don't know how the shops did any trade,is it still open.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelican Village

Yes it is still open ------just ! There was an article in the Nation the other day about the difficulties the traders are having due to the the fact that visitors are not spending money as much as they used to for obvious reasons. It was a bit sad.

I went there in October to look for some pictures to find that the gallery only opened on certain days a week, and that day wasn't one of them. Not the best way to operate a business.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelican Village

It's really unfortunate how this current government has allowed it to dwindle to this sorry state. It was so much better in the past.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelican Village

I'm sorry, but much as this government has it's shortcomings BGI so did the Owen Arthur Government, and neither of them caused the world wide recession that is causing Barbados to have less visitors, and the visitors less money to spend.

It would help however to bring back the Dooflicky and make more of it as a culteral centre not just craft.

Edited: 12 January 2013, 22:48
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelican Village

Sorry meant cultural !

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pelican Village

What is the Dooflicky please Westiegirl?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pelican Village

Westiegal

It was the Owen Arthur Government of 1994-2007 who put Barbados on the map, including Pelican Village. They were the ones who presided over record numbers of visitor arrivals.

This Government? Cruise Arrivals down 15.9% in 2012 over 2011. Long stay visitors down 6.4% in 2012 over 2011. They're the ones who chose to spend money in Brazil and on Rihanna while our competitors such as St. Lucia and Jamaica continue to grow exponentially. This government is also the one that increased water rates by 60%, allowed electricity and gas prices to go through the roof, increased land tax and a host of other increases which forced layoffs and closures in the tourism industry en mass. Therein lies the real problem.

Barbados has less visitors because of this government's policies. Instead of being proactive, they chose to be reactive.

Regards

Edited: 12 January 2013, 23:21
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pelican Village

I don't think that this is the place for a polictical argument but to explain myself, Owen Arthur presided at a time whe the US dollar rate was at it's lowest for years and at a rate that has ever been repeated since , hence record numbers of visitors. At it's highest the Bajan dollar was well over 4 to the British pound. so it was cheap for at least the Brits to visit Barbados, and it encouraged foreign developers to the Island.

Owen Arthur's government , believing that it was going to make a killing through hosting the World Cup cricket gave carte blanche building permission for the many condo blocks you now see blocking the sea views and water outlets , standing unsold.or unfinished He believed that visitors woudl come in their thousands and stay in, and invest in these inapproprite buildings-----------------more than half of them weren't even finished in time .

Barbados voted him out because they recognised his greed amongst other things.Tony Blair was his big friend and I believe Owen Arthur tried to emulate him -----------------need I say more !

I do not like this Government either since the passing of the elected Prime Minister, poor David Thompson. They have a poor leader and have lost their way and do not seem to recognise that tourism is their main source of income. but it is unfortunate that they took over just before the huge economic down turn and refused to recognise that the World recession would affect Barbados before it was too late. However, I still believe that British tourism at least,is down, because of the British Government' s disgraceful tax on Air Fares to the Caribbean making it is so much cheaper to holiday elsewhere. The recession has left many people all over the world without the wherewithall to holiday in Barbados, or the amount of money they used to spend if they are fortunate enough to still visit. What will happens when Owen Arthur gets back in I cannot imagine.

Almatt------------the Dooflicky is the name for the typical Bajan parade featuring a Tuk Band, Mother Sally,Stilt walkers, Shaggy Bears , Steel Donkeys and green monkeys. The same as we have at Holetown Festival. They used to perform at the Pelican Village on ( I think) a wednesday, and visitors would join in and dance with them.------------it was great fun.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 09:21
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pelican Village

Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing the Holetown festival!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pelican Village

You're welcome, looking foward to seeing you there.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pelican Village

Excellent post Westiegal. Also what many people in Barbados fail to realize is that their electricity is generated by gas operated plants, so when the price of the barrel goes up, so does the cost of producing electricity. The same goes for gas at the pumps, not something the government can control. As for land tax going up - first of all land tax in Barbados is dirt cheap and IMO it's about time Barbadians actually start paying for the services they want and expect the government to supply. The previous government and this one have had to borrow a considerable amount of money to keep things going but now they have an enormous debt to pay down.