We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Star Clipper - sea sickness?

We are celebrating our 30th anniversary in March 2014 and are interested in doing a 7 day Star Clipper cruise in the Caribbean. I would love it but my husband isn't a very good sailor! We've done two Caribbean cruises with Princess and he was fine, but I'm concerned about potential sea sickness issues on the Star Clipper. Can anyone reassure me about this - do they have medical facilities?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

You should post this on the cruise forum though you might get an answer on this forum. Plus you should contact the cruise line to see what medical facilities they have, but seasickness is quite common on ships and dealt with accordingly.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 13:19
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

beachbabeIsleofMan

Here's what Star Clipper's website states:

A Registered Nurse is either on staff or is available from shore. In addition, the ship’s officers are qualified in administering first aid. Should a passenger require hospital treatment, the ship is almost always near a medical facility on shore. Passengers requiring prescription medicine are advised to bring them onboard. Only over-the-counter medications are available at the Sloop Shop.

sailingcruises.co.uk/star-clippers-cruise-fa…

I'd suggest reposting this to the Cruise Forum as well:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.…

Regards

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Save the worry and have a week in Barbados!

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

We're going this year mid March so will post afterwards and let you know how we get on. We were advised to book cabins mid ship to minimise any up and down movement, but we were also advised that it was mainly the last night sailing back to Barbados which is more susceptible to being choppy (something to do with tidal flow/currents and motoring to get back.)

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Thanks, that's great - hope you enjoy it.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
488 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

beach babe, we took the royal clipper in december from barbados through the windward islands, nothing short of amazing, to be on a tall ship sailing at a rate of knots just brilliant, The sailaway each day was very moving and special. Yes it was choppy at times but I don't suffer from sea sickness so just enjoyed it, mind you 'her loveliness' looked peaky at times!, it was very much a highlight of our trip this year to such an extent that we are very likely to book again. DWOOd, not long, you will have a blast, hope you are going to spend some time chillin on barbados after or before?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Star Clipper is a sailing vessel, so yes, you can expect some seasickness.. the degree of which will vary from person to person. I'd suggestions checking with your doctor about medication.. the wrist bands etc.. before sailing...

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Just returned from the Royal Clipper cruise around the Grenadines and it was fabulous, I would love to do another clipper cruise now. During our week the Captain reported heavy swells on a couple of days, which meant that on the St.Lucia day we had to change our plans and moor at Castries instead of Marigot Bay and Soufriere. Most days we had gentle rolling side to side and I didn't really notice anyone suffering with real sea sickness, the 4 in our party were all ok. The last night was noticably choppy but I took some Kwells just in case and found one of those did the trick in keeping any sea sickness at bay. There is a nurse on board in case anyone needs help but she clearly had very little to occupy her and spent most of her time helping out in the dining area. I can't recommend the clipper enough for a special holiday, we did two excursions in Grenada to the Seven Sisters waterfall and in St.Lucia did the zipwiring with Treetops and both were great with small numbers of around 25 people on each. We also did the motorboat snorkelling trip in Tobago Cays but not sure that was one I'd repeat as great value for money.

We did have a few days in Barbados afterwards and recommend the Cool Runnings catamaran trip as well!

The weather is also fabulous in March, around 28/29 degrees everyday!

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Really glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for posting your experiences - that's really helpful. Don't know if I'll manage toi persuade my husband to go next March, but I'll keep trying!

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Star Clipper - sea sickness?

Sounds wonderful, one day we hope to do the trip.