We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

Looking forward to one day visiting Barbados and as I love the Couples formula will probably wait till next year, but I have a few questions to ask,,

How is the beach where this resort is, safe for swimming or are there undertows?, is it predominately strong waves or calm, crystal clear or cloudy. any thoughts?

I know the beaches are public, would this one get crowded, lots of vendors. Don't mind vendors, I like meeting them and will buy from them as long as a respectful no ends the sales pitch when I am not interested..

Also are there other AI couples only resorts on Barbados we might consider. We like a smaller resort less than 250-300 rooms. We are mostly beach people and prefer a beach easy to enter water( not a steep dropoff or sharp coral to step on)

Cant wait to research someplace new...

thanks for your thoughts..

PV

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

PermanentVacashun

Dover Beach, where Couples/Almond is located is absolutely stunning. It's very safe for swimming, can be a bit rough at times but generally pleasurable. A bit more cloudy usually than crystal clear.

Dover Beach is a massive beach to put it simply...it never feels crowded to me. You will encounter vendors but they are quite respectful.

Couples will be Barbados' first and only AI resort for couples. There is an adults only Club Barbados Resort on the West Coast, but by adults, they mean anyone over the age of 16.

Couples will have 280 rooms. Club Barbados has 161 rooms.

Hope this helps

Regards

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

BGIWorldTrave- I too am looking at Couples Barbados, They are running some great grand opening specials, that include $1000 air credit, that will actually allow me to do Barbados for cheaper then Jamaica ( which I have never been able to do in the past). What months do you feel the ocean would be the calmest and have the warmest water temps. ( I know with weather there is no guarantee, but just looking for possible trends).

Also, Couples will be offering the free scuba and snorkeling, how is this on the island.

Looking forward to possibly visiting Barbados !

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

NorwegianMama

To be honest, we have high tide and low tides daily...year round. However in terms of warmer temperatures, April to October has the warmest water temps on the island generally.

Any idea which company is providing the scuba and snorkelling trips? We have some great companies on the island such as Roger's Scuba Shack that do a great job. You'll enjoy those activities here.

Regards

AAS
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

We are also considering moving our CTI reservation to Couples Barbados this year. I am trying to figure out how much scuba diving will be since only 2 dives per person are included with Couples and DH will want to dive every day. The Couples message board made it sound like there was an existing dive shop in site or very close to the resort - any idea who that might be? thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

BgiWorldTravel, thanks for the information. Couples has stated that they are using an outside company to do the scuba and snorkeling, but I have not seen the company posted. In Jamaica, they have their own dive crews, equipment and boats at all the resorts and provide unlimited water sports. Some people are put off because at Couples Barbados they are only allowing 4 free dives per room.

AAS, Randy has stated since in some couples one person dives and the other does not, the rule will be 4 dives per room. Many are asking for information on prices for additional dives, so I am sure they will post some pricing soon. I priced out Couples Barbados, and I can actually do my next trip cheaper then my upcoming trip to Negril. That $1000 air credit and the the grand opening specials are truly tempting.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

NorwegianMama

You're welcome. Hopefully Couples Barbados will change their stated policy.

You can contact Roger's. They are 10 mins drive from Couples.

www.rogers-scubashack.com.bb

Hope this helps

Regards

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

AAS

I suspect it's either the Dive Shop or Roger's Scuba Shack.

www.divebds.com/

www.rogers-scubashack.com.bb

Regards

AAS
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

BGI Thanks for the info!

NorweiganMama we both dive so 4 dives total = 2 a piece

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

couples.com/barbados/index.php…

Did everybody see this. Good information about Couples in Barbados. It could be confusing with some though as one of their restaurants is called 'Waves' and there is a 'Waves' Hotel on the West Coast.

NEW JERSEY
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Couples/Almond resort questions/ suggestions wanted..

Destination Expert - I have been on this forum site for over 4 hours loking for advice for a Honeymoon All Inclusive in Barbados.The special @ Couples Barbados is very tempting ( especially price wise) still I hesitate?

Hopefully as you live there you can answer my concerns / questions.

As far as the location of couples Barbados (South Coast) is said to be "rugged" swimable but rough. For calm waters it seems the West Coast is the better choice?

Snorkeling requires a boat = you won't snorkel @ Dover Beach?

The resort is definitely not "new" but under renovations scheduled to be completed by June * ofcourse there is no guarantee but our trip would be in Ocotber let's hope so* as you have lived there for 20 years I am guessing that the Casuarina has been there at least that long?

"There are no good All Inclusives on Barbados? perhaps a Meal Plan is offered elsewhere?

Of course no one can predict the weather but charts show

most raainfal in Septemebr and Novemebr but quite a bit less in October (strange?) allos Barbados is usually spared from hurricanes ( last hit was like 50 years ago?)

Can you please comment as to your experience with the rainfall in the fall*

The Club Barbados was mentioned ( Adults Only ?) but on the West Coast. Which would you choose Couples or the Club Barbados for your honeymoon?

Sout Caost ( rugged) West Coast (calm) which location offers the better snorkeling?

Now I must look at the Club Barbados as I await your reply . After experiencing super Storm Sandy perhaps Barbados is not thebest choice for october?

Barbados versus Aruba - I agree half of Aruba is not a pleasure to see but the ebach is so beautiful and blue.

Curacao - Ihave read 100's of reviews but as far as mypictruing being / staying at any of the resorts hmm I don't know. Breezes is a 3* i am torn between Barbados and Aruba or possibly Curacao.

I anxiously await your reply - thank you!!!