We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn! South or West coast in May?

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Torn! South or West coast in May?

Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I (late 20's) are going to Barbados for a week early in May and I've scrolled through a ton of posts trying to get an idea of where we should stay. I do not enjoy wavy oceans, so the calm of the West coast really appeals to me. However, it seems from this forum that there is a lot more going on in St. Lawrence Gap and more recommended restaurants. Is it worth the tradeoff? How realistic is it to stay on the West coast but take a taxi to the south for dinner a few nights?

Thanks!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

Stay on the west coast near Holetown - that will give you what you want all ways round.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

West coast and Holetown .... lots of restaurants, lovely bars and the best shops on the island! There is lots going on in Holetown nowadays!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

Ditto Holetown without a doubt , but if you want to go for a meal on the South coast, one night it's only a short taxi ride away.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

QueenAnnesLane

I suppose it depends if you're into good night life such as nice bars, clubs etc as well. My personal preference is for the South Coast. You'll find the hotels cheaper, the nightlife is definitely better than the West Coast. I live here and I bypass St. James every week to partake in the nightlife on the South Coast.

A taxi between the two areas will be about 30 minutes each way and will cost $25-$35 USD each way depending on your destination.

Hope this helps

Regards

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

You will find that it appears that more South Coast restaurants are recommended on this forum, simply because it seems that more visitors who post on TA stay in the South. We Westie fans are a bit outnumbered .

, However, although Holetown ( where you should stay for restaurants and nightlife ) does not have the number of night clubs and fast food type restaurants found around St Lawrence Gap, there is more than enough to do and more than enough restaurants of all types to eat at, and night life to enjoy.

Moreover, the sea in May in Holetown, is calm, walm and beautiful for swimming , snorkeling.and water skiing.. We have boat trips of all kinds leaving from our beaches instead of you having to go into Bridgetown to join your catamaran, fishing boat etc. and IMO the west is all together a more interesting and "green" coast to stay on---------------I suppose that is why, accommodation, is often a little ,or a lot more ,expensive. as the west is home to most of the best Hotels.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 09:32
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

Thank you for all of the advice! i am not huge on nightlife, though I would enjoy the bar scene one or two nights, and it seems like Holetown can accommodate that.

It seems that the restaurants in the area are on the expensive side and I'd definitely splurge for a great meal (the Cliff), however I don't want to be paying upwards of $100 USD a person on dinner every night. Most of the hotels I've been researching (specifically the Elegant Hotel group) include breakfast, but I've also looked at the Beach View which has a kitchen, but no frills and not a lot of options for food. How feasible is it to buy groceries and walk back to Beach View? it looks a bit too far south from Holetown to actually walk right out of the hotel and enjoy the town, especially compared to Colony Club. Is it worth the location and amenities to stay somewhere more resort-like?

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

There are many reasonably priced restaurants around Holetown such as Spago, Zaccio's, Just Grillin etc you don't need to spend anywhere near $100 USD per person at these places. We always mix high and mid price restaurants during our trip.

You would be better to hop on the bus or take a cab to the supermarket from Beach View. You have a few places in walking distance, Scarlet and Daphne's.

If you want to stop in Holetown you could look at Villa's on the beach or Settlers Beach if you wanted self catering amenities but in Holetown.

8. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 17:32
Edited: 28 January 2013, 17:32
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

QueenAnnesLane

You can pay $1 USD and take the bus to Super Centre in Sunset Crest, it'll take 7 minutes or so. Do your shopping, then take the free customer service shuttle back to Beach View. Very simple... or just pay $1 USD and take the bus back. There is a bus stop right outside Beach View. Very easy and simple.

Hope this helps

Regards

10. Re: Torn! South or West coast in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:19