We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Concerns

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Concerns

This article appeared in the Nation News.

nationnews.com/articles/view/dengue-worry/

There has been a worrying spike in dengue cases so far this year. And the Ministry of Health views the situation so seriously that it has issued a bulletin to doctors, reminding them to report any suspected cases of the disease.

In the bulletin, the ministry revealed that six people were admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital during the first four weeks of this year with dengue fever or dengue haemorrhagic fever. This is double the number of hospitalizations for the same period last year.

What’s more, there have been 51 confirmed cases of dengue fever during the first four epidemiologic weeks of this year as compared with 20 cases during the same period of 2012.

The ministry noted that the number of cases for last month was higher than expected, but below the “epidemic threshold”. However, it said that “the number of cases (2012) exceeded the epidemic threshold from July to December”, and appealed to doctors to assist in tracking and combating the disease.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Concerns

Hi Canby,

Good information. It reminded me that when we were in line at Westjet check-in at BGI on January 29th we got chatting with the couple behind us, who I believe were from the Guelph area. They had been down for about 3 months and renting a home up near Speightstown / Port St. Charles. She had contracted dengue fever and was hospitalized and quite sick for several weeks.

We were quite shocked as we didn't even know that dengue existed in Barbados. It is something I expect in places like the Dominican Republic, but not Barbados. Not something I guess they want to advertise too loudly. It is certainly not something to panic about, but information that should be available to both residents and visitors alike, even if the odds of infection are very low.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Concerns

Do you know if she was in hospital all that time in Barbados or did they fly her home?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Concerns

No, I believe she was only hospitalized briefly, but she had been quite sick for awhile until they finally went to a doctor and they figured out what it was. She then took a while to recover. They were returning on their normal return date, since they had a function to go to back home. They are retired and normally spend their winters in Barbados. She looked great when we met them at the airport, which was one of the reasons we were so shocked when she told us.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Concerns

Usually if you've got Dengue you don't fly anywhere, you're really too sick.

A few of my friends (locally) have contracted it in the past 7-8 months and their cases were quite severe.

There has been quite a bit of "fogging" going on though which helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Concerns

Yes, I agree, Canby. One of the advantages of staying at some type of resort or community where the fogging then tends to get done. I know they were doing it at Glitter Bay when we were there. This couple was renting a private home and in that case it is not likely that any fogging is being done.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 11:58
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Concerns

Fogging is done by the government and they go pretty well everywhere in the low areas and houses end up getting it. In fact many people close their windows and shutters when they hear the machine. It's quite smelly, you can't miss it. It's done quite frequently but obviously the problem of Dengue has gotten worse, unfortunately.

Here's a link to an article that shows the problem is getting worse world wide.

thestar.com/news/world/2013/01/16/dengue_fev…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Concerns

Good article, Canby. I am glad to know the Barbados government is taking some preventative measures. They did the fogging once when we were at Glitter Bay and it is quite a production - lots of smoke and noise and smell. You don't want to be near when they are doing it. I just assumed it was arranged by the property owner, since we have often seen the less intrusive liquid spraying at several resorts in the past, but I believe that is for general insect control, not specifically mosquitos.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Concerns

Something to remember is that dengue mosquitoes generally bite during the day, they are stripey and slightly larger than 'normal' mozzies (a bit easier to spot?). A few Brits contracted it when in the Maldives this past while. It can be very nasty.

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Concerns

i had dengue 2 years ago and believe me, it is aweful...10 x worse than any flu i ever had..a dr. from my city told me it takes up to 6 mmonths to COMPLETELY clear from the body!!!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Concerns

I read that Papaya leaf juice is a good help towards recovery.