We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

Hi,

I am planning our honeymoon and could do with some advice as I have not ever down a long haul holiday.

We are spending 5 nights in NYC and then want to go on to the Caribbean from there for 14 nights. I have had trouble deciding between St Lucia or Barbados.

Our travel agent has found us an amazing 14 night holiday in St Lucia at the Sugar Beach hotel which we are very tempted to book. However, my only reservation is that is does seem remote and there does not seem to be much to do. I love relaxing and doing nothing for a week but after then I tend to get itchy feet. The resort looks super amazing though and St Lucia seems so romantic for a honeymoon.

I am wondering if Barbados would be a better bet for wandering around and grabbing meals out? Indeed, this was mentioned to us by our travel agent.

I am coming round to the idea that maybe a week on both St Lucia at the Sugar Beach and then a week in Barbados (or vice versa) would be the best of both worlds. Is this recommended and if so, are there any recommendations for places to stay at Barbados? I would love some views from people that have been to both islands.

Any advice for a rather naive traveller, much appreciated!

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

Why not consider Tamarind Hotel on West Coast: on a lovely beach, with good snorkelling, and swimming with turtles nearby. If you stay on a B& B basis, there are loads of cafes/restaurants nearby or within a 5-10 minute cheap ( 1 US $ each journey ) , frequent bus ride to Holetown - where there is great night life. The hotel has a gorgeous beach fronted dining setting for romantic dining, fab breakfasts, lovely sunbeds,hammocks, spacious grounds, great water sports and a lovey, comfy safe, free, water taxi to take you to another lovely resort in the hotel group : Colony Club, so you can spend some hours there if you wish. And above all the staff are so welcoming and caring!

Take a look at the reviews : my latest is on page 2 of the hotel's reviews with loads of photos : " Why do we like this hotel so much ". Also see their own website : what you see is what you get - what is wiritten on the side of the tin is what is inside !

Edited: 16 February 2013, 10:00
Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

Should have added that my wife and I have been to St Lucia a number of times : lovely resorts, but not as open and easy to get around as Barbados, where all the beaches are public to locals and tourists alike. When you visit towns like Holetown in Barbados you really feel you are part of their local community there. And nearly everyone you meet is so friendly and helpful.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

We have been to St Lucia quite a few times and holiday in Barbados every year. St Lucia is a lovely island, you are right it is more difficult to navigate as it is a larger island and mountainous and the roads are very windy navigating the terrain. This is a tricky one, I love Barbados but for your honeymoon I believe St Lucia also could be a great spot. I am familiar with the position of the hotel you are talking about, it used to be called Jalousie and it is in an amazing spot right between the pitons which are spectacular. The make over looks like it has been very nicely done.The snorkelling is very good in that spot if that is an interest you have.I think it would be a very romantic spot. In terms of things to do on St Lucia there is Marigot Bay used to film Dr Doolittle close by, waterfalls, volcano and I would suggest a visit to Pigeon Point at the opposite end of the island.

I think a week in each place could be good. If you come to Barbados I would suggest taking a look at The Sandpiper, Treasure Beach, Fairmont Royal Pavillion and budget permitting Sandy Lane in Barbados. The beaches are much nicer in my view on Barbados as the sand is whiter, with being a volcanic island the sand is quite dark on most beaches in SLU, I don't think you get that same beautiful turquoise look of the water for that reason. There are many fine dining options and lots of historic and places of natural beauty to visit in Barbados, I think the juxtaposition of the two islands would make a lovely honeymoon.

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

I'd do both! I've been to St Lucia twice & Barbados 3 times & I love both islands but they are very different. St Lucia isn't the best island to travel around (narrow windy roads) but it is beautiful & lush & a different ball game altogether to Barbados. I'd probably do NY then Barbados & have the relaxing part in St Lucia last. And that way, you'll probably fly into the airport at the north (vigie in Castries) from BGI & see the island as you travel south to your hotel (then you can decide if you want to explore more of the island) & your flight from St Lucia to London will be from Hewannora which is in the south (& will save another road trip up north, it's about 1.5 hours to get from north to south of island). You can't really go out easily for meals in St Lucia (although where you're looking to stay there might be more restaurants around) whereas in Barbados there are so many gorgeous restaurants to eat in & the islands so easy to get around.

I'm sure wherever you choose you'll have a fab time, but like I said, if you try both you get best of both worlds & won't be disappointed!

Enjoy :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

Many thanks! Your comments have made me decide to definitely split my time between St Lucia and Barbados!

Thanks for all the recommendations - am checking them out right now!

6. Re: Honeymoon Advice - St Lucia, Barbados or both?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:15