We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report and many thanks

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
trip report and many thanks

First off, thanks so much to everyone who posts on this forum. We found so much info here. Spent a fabulous week in Barbados. We intended to take the bus from the airport to our hotel in Rockley, but a reggae bus stopped first, and off we went!

The bus system is easy and cheap. We mostly rode the bus, but we walked a lot too-watch out for holes in the sometimes narrow sidewalks, and bring a flashlight for night time.

We rented a car for our own island tour for a day and had great fun getting lost, but hardly too lost as eventually we always found the sea! We learned about rum and sugar cane at our interesting visit to St Nickolas Abbey.

We spent a wonderful day at Crane Beach, had lunch at L'Azure overlooking the water. We walked to the Gap, had a delicious breakfast at Happy Days, a great meal at Harlequin, and had no trouble finding a cab to take us back to our hotel.

We wandered the boardwalk, ate a terrific meal at Tapas. We found a farmers market on Saturday morning, with great channas, fresh baked (gluten free)breads, and all natural smoothies-AND-local art!

We enjoyed dixieland jazz at the Waterfront Cafe, with great food, great service and just so much fun!

We pampered ourselves on our Silver Moon catamaran trip--truly a day in paradise.

We also were able to get groceries and beer at a local convenience store across from our hotel.

Can you tell we had a special, wonderful trip? Thanks to all. Be glad to answer any questions if I can help.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report and many thanks

mmsrere26

Glad to hear you had a fantastic holiday here. Hope you return sometime soon.

Regards

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report and many thanks

Thanks for the great report. Was the farmers market the one on Holders Hill or somewhere else? We're headed there in a couple of weeks and had difficulty finding gluten free bread last year.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report and many thanks

Glad you had a great trip, enjoyed reading your trip report thanks for posting.

glasgow
Level Contributor
91 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report and many thanks

mmsrere26

Sounds like you had a great time.

Were thinking of booking for next January but are a little worried about the reported crime on the island such as muggings and theft.

Did you feel safe and secure when you travelled the island and went out in the evenings.

D.....

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report and many thanks

mmsrere26

Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip. It is always good when someone comes back to the forum to tell us all how it went. Thanks.

montreal
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report and many thanks

I have traveled to almost all the caribbean islands and Barbados is by far the safest!!! I have been to Barbados many times and always felt very safe. You can take public transportation anywhere and feel just fine!!! As anywhere you should take certain precautions, like don't walk around very late at night, don't leave your belongings unattended and don't flash around money - good ideas no matter where you are!!!! The people are very friendly and helpful. Have a GREAT vacation!!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report and many thanks

foodtec. There seems to be an undercurrent of reports on this forum at the moment highlighting crime. I can assure you I feel safer in Barbados on a Saturday night than I would feel in Glasgow ( and I dont have any worries about Glasgow). Barbados is still the safest Island in the Carribean. Not like many islands where you would not stray out of your compounded hotels complex. Come and see, meet fabulous, freindly welcoming residents and have a real chilled holiday.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report and many thanks

Thanks for the trip report - glad you had a good time. And I agree about the safety angle - Barbados is relatively safe and I have no reason not to book the next visit!

PS Harlequins is a great place to eat

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report and many thanks

sinder---the market was at the art gallery, sorry don't remember the name. It was right across from Blakelys on the boardwalk in Hastings.

foodtec--we felt safe daytime and nightime. We took the bus to Mass on Saturday night to St Dominics, then walked to the Gap for dinner. It was dark, but truly I was more worried about tripping on the sidewalk.

One point to make----on the way home from the Gap to Accra hotel on Saturday night we took a cab, and the cabbie told us traffic was due to the teens gathering at the local Chefettes. Oh my gosh--Rockley beach area and the Chefettes were swarming with teens! I might have been nervous walking through that crowd if I didn't know what was going on, but I took it to be similar to kids hanging at the local mall.

Again, use your common sense and have a wonderful time--we certainly did!

10. Re: trip report and many thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:16